Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resolution Problem After Using a Projector

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dannysjr

dannysjr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

Hello! This is my first time posting here, so I'm sorry if it's bad etiquette for my introduction to be posting about a problem of my own.

I connected my HP laptop to a projector about a week ago via VGA for a couple of hours to watch a movie. Since then, every time I have closed my laptop - I have it set not to sleep or hibernate when I do this, but only for the screen to turn off - my windows (e.g. my browser windows, media player windows, etc.) are all smaller as if I reduced the size of each by dragging the right border to about the halfway point of the right side of the screen.

I have come to the conclusion that it's a resolution problem, because everything fits when I change the resolution from the recommended 1366x768 to 1024x768, though then everything looks oddly blown up because my computer isn't intended to use the latter resolution.

It's becoming quite a nuisance, so I really appreciate any help you can give me. I also apologize if there are any silly questions here. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

I'm not understanding the issue you are having.  When you connect to a projector you will normally need to reduce the resolution to the resolution of the projector.  If you are doing a clone or duplication of your screen this will also affect your laptop resolution.  After you disconnect from the projector you may need to set your resolution of the laptop again to its recommended resolution.  If the resolution on your laptop is set lower than the recommended resolution you may not be able to see all of your information.

#3 dannysjr

dannysjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

I'm not understanding the issue you are having.  When you connect to a projector you will normally need to reduce the resolution to the resolution of the projector.  If you are doing a clone or duplication of your screen this will also affect your laptop resolution.  After you disconnect from the projector you may need to set your resolution of the laptop again to its recommended resolution.  If the resolution on your laptop is set lower than the recommended resolution you may not be able to see all of your information.

The weird thing is that it IS set at the recommended resolution right now, 1366x768.

Here's a screenshot:

2h7403k.png

#4 dannysjr

dannysjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:44 AM

If it helps, here is a screenshot of a media player window before I close my laptop, then one after I close it and reopen it. The blue image on the right is part of my desktop background.

wt9lxs.png2iv08hw.png

#5 Totalsolutions

Totalsolutions

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:18 AM

Can you click the Maximise button, (top right to the left of the Close button). Then close the program/window and it will remember the last screen position/size. When you re run the program it should be OK. That's alI can think of.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

From the screen shots, as Totalsolutions said this looks to be a software issue.  Windows Media Player is remembering the size it was set to when you were connected to the projector.

#7 dannysjr

dannysjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

Can you click the Maximise button, (top right to the left of the Close button). Then close the program/window and it will remember the last screen position/size. When you re run the program it should be OK. That's alI can think of.

If I maximize the window, it does stay maximized after I close and re-open the laptop, so thank you for the suggestion. However, I'd still like to find a solution, especially because this is happening to all my windows, not just the media player, some of which cannot be maximized (e.g. Sticky Notes).

From the screen shots, as Totalsolutions said this looks to be a software issue.  Windows Media Player is remembering the size it was set to when you were connected to the projector.

So you're saying it's an issue with each of my programs? If so, do you have a suggestion as to what I should look into now?

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

Yes, you're going to have to do this with every program you're having issues.  My guess is that you're seeing the issue with everything you had open when you connected to the projector and was caused by how you disconnected the projector.  Not that you disconnected it incorrectly, but that the method that you used results in these issues.

Does your laptop go into suspend when you close the lid?

#9 dannysjr

dannysjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hmm okay. Do you know how to go about changing that setting for each program?

This is what I have for settings when I close the lid:

xbk1mx.png

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but I'm also not sure exactly how to know if my laptop goes into suspend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users