Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with viewing JPG images

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 darkmasterbosel

darkmasterbosel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

Hello all,

Today I was reviewing some pictures of mine (all of which are JPG) and noticed that the ones that have some standard indexed file name (such as a digital camera would save them as) were unviewable.  The files that I had renamed myself at some point were intact, but the files with names like 100_####.jpg or DSCN#### will not open in Paint, Paint.net, or anything...on MY computer.  I sent two files to a friend; one that I could see, and one that I couldn't.  He was able to see the 100_#### file that I was unable to see.  He recommended trying Malwarebytes - which I did, and nothing changed.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

I'd interpret that as possible file corruption...which may be an indicator of hard drive problems.

Is that the only problem with your system right now?  Any other odd circumstances?

Louis

#3 darkmasterbosel

darkmasterbosel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

Now that you mention it, yes.  I had a similar problem with Excel *,.xls* files.  I tried to open one and it tried to open in text, and came up as gibberish characters.  MOST of the other excel files I had exhibited the same problem, while a few were unaffected.  I will send a few more photos to my friend and see if he can view any of those.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

Try Gimp or Microsoft Picture viewer for pictures, and Libre Office for documents.  It sounds like you are either dealing with files that have had the extension changed, or they were formatted on different software, and the Windows programs are not knowing how to handle, which is not the first time, nor will be the last.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

The Windows effort to overcome file corruption...is to run the chkdsk /r command.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users