Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Antivirus Live Update Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Merlin's Mom

Merlin's Mom

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:00 AM

Hi--
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I run Norton Antivirus 2004 on my computer (Dell 4600 w/ windows XP Home). And for about 2 months I've been having a problem with getting live update to work. Every time I try to run the program I get "Error: LU1875 This update failed during its preprocessing welcome text phase".

I have been to the symantec website and because I have 2004 version it is no longer covered by auto tech support. But they are kind enough to give a list of possible fixes.

So far I have tried: disabling my firewall
I ran a virus removal tool, for a virus that they said could cause this problem (virus not
found on my system, I knew that)
I have uninstalled live update and then re-installed with a freshly downloaded copy
I created a "symlogon.reg" and symlogoff.reg" files and have sent the info to symantec

With every fix I try they tell me to try running live update again in 48 hours. I do this and still get the error. I can technically still get virus def. updates by using symantec's intelligent updater, but it's a pain in the buttocks and takes forever with my slow dial-up connection. I downloaded the program off the internet so I don't have a disc to re-install the entire program and I forgot to save the .exe file to my hard drive. :thumbsup:

I want my live update back, it was nice, ran all by it's self, didn't bother me, just went about it's business keeping my system up to date. Anybody have any suggestions as to what to try now? Or am I pretty much screwed?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:47 AM

Hi Merlin's Mom.
Unregister then re-register "Navlucbk.dll".
To do so, click start>run.
In the run dialog box type "regsvr32 /u C:\Program Files\Norton Antivirus\Navlucbk.dll" (no quotes) and click ok. This will unregister the dll.
To re-register it type "regsvr32 C:\Program Files\Norton Antivirus\Navlucbk.dll" again, no quotes, click ok.
You should see a message saying it was successful.
Reboot your system and try live update again.
You might want to first check that the Navlucbk.dll file path is correct first. It should be in that folder location.

#3 Merlin's Mom

Merlin's Mom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:57 AM

Hi--
Ok tried to unload the navlucbk.dll file
got this error

Load library ("C:\program") failed--specified module could not be found

what does this mean?? I also did a search for the navlucbk. dll file and found it in "c:\program files\norton antivirus", so why won't it load?

Thanks for helping.

Edited by Merlin's Mom, 07 May 2006 - 11:31 AM.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:36 AM

Copy and paste the command below in to the run dialog box:

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\navlucbk.dll"

If you still have the problem then try registering it. Again, copy and paste:

regsvr32 "c:\program files\norton antivirus\navlucbk.dll"

I just want to make sure the command is being entered correctly.
When I said no quotes, I didn't mean the quotes around the path itself. I should have been more specific.
Make sure norton is not running as well.

Let me know.

Edited by HitSquad, 08 May 2006 - 08:38 AM.

#5 Merlin's Mom

Merlin's Mom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

Hi again--

Ok, I unregistered the navlucbk.dll file ( must have been the quotes, I was removing all of them)

now, do I try live update again now, or do I need to register the .dll file before running??

thanks.

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:55 PM

You need to re-register the dll first.
Just copy and paste the second command (the one without the" / u" in it). :thumbsup:
Reboot the system and try live update again afterwards.

Edited by HitSquad, 08 May 2006 - 01:56 PM.

#7 Merlin's Mom

Merlin's Mom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:19 PM

:P :thumbsup: :inlove: :) :flowers: :cool: :) :trumpet: :)

All right, it worked!!! Thank you ever so much, HitSquad!! I LOVE this place!

--Lojo

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:34 PM

You're welcome Merlins Mom.
Always happy to help out a fellow Illinois'n (is that a word?) :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 08 May 2006 - 02:37 PM.

#9 steelwheel

steelwheel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:08 PM

I have Norton anti-virus 2003 running on Win XP. It is actually on my wife's laptop and I just noticed last night that her a/v signatures were las updated on June 14, 2006. I immediately ran liveupdate and got the same old LU1875 error message.
This morning I went to the Symantec site (www.symantec.com) and searched the entire site for 'LU1875', without the quotes. It gave me a very well written, four page response covering exactly what to do. I was impressed that they have set it up so that it should solve the problem with all versions of A/V, SystemWorks, and Internet Security. Very easy for anyone who can read.

Good luck,
Steelwheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users