Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My laptop will not turn on

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSymmetry

SuperSymmetry

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

Model: Toshiba l675d-s7016

Whenever I tried to turn on my laptop, the fan comes on for 2-3 second and then immediately shuts off. The power light indicator remains on. I tried holding the power button for 10 second and then the power light turns off, and tried turning it back on again, but the problem remains.

Sometime, when I left the laptop on and plugged in, the fan would randomly turn on, but nothing pops up on the screen.

One day, it magically worked, I tried restarting it, and the problem comes back. This happened only one time, it is now facing the same problem.

I really hope the motherboard isn’t bad, because it is extremely expensive to try to replace it.

Things I have tried:

·         Hold the power for 60 second, and then turn it back on.

·         Removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes and tried turning it on.

·         I tried plugging a VGA into the laptop and turned it on, just to make sure the graphic card is not the problem.

Also i tested the battery, and it was fine. I also tested the charger's output, and it was 19.1-19.5V

Edited by SuperSymmetry, 30 December 2013 - 02:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

When thi shappens can you hear any hard drive noises that would indicate the computer is booting?

#3 SuperSymmetry

SuperSymmetry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

I hear the DVD drive moving, for a little bit, and then the fans goes off.

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

Are you hearing any beeps when you try to start? Was it doing anything before such as error messages? Have you tried to replace the cmos battery with a new one?

#5 SuperSymmetry

SuperSymmetry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

There was no beep. I tested the battery with a voltmeter and it was at 3.5V. Also i think the computer would still boot without a CMOS battery :(

I cannot think of any other possibilities except a broken motherboard. but that one magical moment when it boot successfully one time is keeping that down at the moment

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

A bad CMOS battery will keep a computer from booting. Have you tried taking out the main battery and CMOS battery. Remove the power cord and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the Cmos battery but not the main battery. Plug in your power brick and boot the computer. For the price of a CMOS battery, I would try a new one.

#7 lsmeed

lsmeed

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

I've seen similar problems to this on toshiba laptops before - not always with the same cause.

The causes i have seen are:

-  having a bad battery (main battery, not CMOS) - a new 3rd party battery solved this

-  faulty on/off switch (a result of pressing the button too hard) - rewired the switch

-  a short being caused in the power connector on the motherboard caused by the power cable being yanked out and shoved in repeatedly  - got a new power socket from Maplins and rewired it

Unfortunately it's hard to tell which (if any) of these could be the cause, it sounds to me like a short somewhere though. 

Edited by lsmeed, 02 January 2014 - 10:11 AM.

#8 SuperSymmetry

SuperSymmetry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

I've seen similar problems to this on toshiba laptops before - not always with the same cause.

The causes i have seen are:

-  having a bad battery (main battery, not CMOS) - a new 3rd party battery solved this

-  faulty on/off switch (a result of pressing the button too hard) - rewired the switch

-  a short being caused in the power connector on the motherboard caused by the power cable being yanked out and shoved in repeatedly  - got a new power socket from Maplins and rewired it

Unfortunately it's hard to tell which (if any) of these could be the cause, it sounds to me like a short somewhere though. 

I tested the switch using an ohmmeter and it seems to be fine. The last diagnostic is very interesting! I was wondering if you could give be a tip on testing it. 

#9 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

So..It doesn't fire up on the plug or battery?

#10 SuperSymmetry

SuperSymmetry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

So..It doesn't fire up on the plug or battery?

On the plug and battery, it fires up for 2-3 second and then shuts down, but the power indicator says its on, and the fan/everything else is off.

#11 lsmeed

lsmeed

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

When I've seen the problem with the internal power plug before it was on a friends computer that was doing very similar things to what you're discribing. Did you notice if the battery was losing charge very quickly prior to these problems starting?

I first identified that the power connector was the cause in my friends case when he told me "you have to hold the power cable at a certain angle to get it to charge properly"... a definate indicator that either the cable or the connector was faulty.

Sometimes it is possible to see if it is likely to be the connector by simply looking into it with a light, is the power cable loose/wobbling around when you plug it in to the back of the laptop? Can you see if anything looks bent/deformed?

If you can't tell from the outside then you'd need to take the laptop case apart, not always the easist thing on some laptops!

If you do feel comfortable taking the laptop apart then in the case of the power socket it should be fairly obvious of its condition once you can get a good look at it.

Taking the cable in and out all the time (especially if like me you don't always do it particularly gently) can cause the wiring/soldered connections between the socket and the board to come loose, as for fixing it (if it is the problem)... that comes down to how comfortable you feel with a soldering iron.

As I said previously, this is just one possible cause that i have seen before, you might go through all of that to find no obvious damage/wear on the power socket at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users