Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

administrator level for Spybot S/D?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

my daughter's computer was acting up and she said there was some updater program she couldnt get rid of so i downloaded the trilogy to her laptop...

malwarebytes

superantispyware

spybot search and destroy

everything seems to have run well and i decided i hadnt run anything on MY computer in a while so i opened these 3 and updated the libraies and such...

i ran them and had several issues found by SB S/D.  i clicked to fix the problems and i got a little pop up saying it cant fix the problems because it needs to be run as an administrator...

how can i run this as an administrator?  should i bother with it? i just read another thread that said SB S/D wasnt reliable anymore and was no longer recommended...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

While I agree that Spy is not that good anymore, especially with the other 2 you have available. Note that none of the 3 are an antivirus and you need one.

That said "run as an administrator" is important is asked for.

Many times it's simple as Right clicking on say the Spybot Icon and in the popup menu you can select

Run as Administrator.

It can be different in different operating systems..
Such as How to Run a Program as an Administrator in Windows 7

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 WitheredGryphon

WitheredGryphon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

I would suggest adding an actual Anti-Virus to your computer as well. I personally use AVG (it's free of charge), and I know others who use some different ones such as Microsoft Security Essentials, Kaspersky, Sophos, etc.

#4 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

i use Microsoft Security Essentials and it seems to work pretty good...

i used to use AVG but it got real buggy (maybe it had a big bloatware upgrade?) and ive not used it since this system (win7)...

i uninstalled SB and might try to download it again but im pretty happy with what the other 2 do for me...

#5 WitheredGryphon

WitheredGryphon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

i use Microsoft Security Essentials and it seems to work pretty good...

i used to use AVG but it got real buggy (maybe it had a big bloatware upgrade?) and ive not used it since this system (win7)...

i uninstalled SB and might try to download it again but im pretty happy with what the other 2 do for me...

I used to use MSE as well before I got Windows 8, and it was equally as good of an Anti-Virus.

In any event, Malwarebytes does a really good job especially when tacked alongside an Anti-Virus. I'd think you'll be fine without SB. Just make sure everything is up to date and Realtime protection is on.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

Hello -

Please see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program by quietman7 for full information.

This will add to the information given by boopme above.

There are several Free antivirus programs listed, and other options for you -

Thank You -

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

Spybot has several product versions to include their old Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.2, Spybot 2.2 Free Edition and Spybot + AV (Home & Professional) which adds antivirus protection.

You stated in your initial posting you used Spybot Search & Destroy so it would be helpful if you could confirm which one you are using.

How to Run a Program as an Administrator in Windows 8
How to Run a Program as an Administrator in Windows 7
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

im sorry...

its the Free 2.2 version

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

Spybot 2.2 Free Edition does not include anti-virus.

FYI: mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D (or Ad-Aware) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users