Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Great Tip For Upsizing Images

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tosca

Tosca

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:46 AM

Now, this isn't my tip. I got it from my photography forum that I'm on, but it's great. However, nobody seems to know WHY IT WORKS, so can any of you experts explain it. By all logical conclusions doing this should deteriorate the image, but it doesn't.

I take it that you would like to produce a poster size image form your digital camera?

If so then:-

Open the image in Photoshop

Go to image>image size

Make sure that Resample is turned on, and change the Resample Image Interpolation Method to Bicubic Smoother.

Switch the unit of measurement pop-up menus from inches to percent and type 110, which will increase the image by 10%.

Now for some strange reason, which other on the forum may be able to explain, if you do this in 10% increments, it does not seem to soften or blur the image, try it.

The res showing on the screen shot for this was 72.

Edited by jgweed, 07 May 2006 - 09:22 AM.

Lorraine
Life is like an onion......it has many layers.........and they all STINK.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:03 AM

Hi Tosca.
I've used that before and it basicly boils down to pixel alteration.
See the below article:

Understand How Color Works in Photoshop

#3 Tosca

Tosca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

Thanks, Hitsquad. Brill.
Lorraine
Life is like an onion......it has many layers.........and they all STINK.

#4 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:47 AM

i invented a different way too.

in Paint Shop Pro 9, i would need to resize things down a lot. they were simple things like logos. even though i was resizing them DOWN, they still became a little sketchy and distorted.

what i did was i Zoomed OUT and took a Screnshot. then i pasted the screenshot in the file i was working on. for some reason, that method resized the pics really good!

ill post some examples some other time so u can see for yourself side by side. im too lazy right now.

remember, this was with PSP9. i think photoshop does a MUCH MUCH better job resizing pics. i think i tried about every resizing option in PSP9 (except your way by doing it a 10% at a time) and this way was the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users