Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ALxELITEXAL

ALxELITEXAL

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/483046/checking-file-system-in-c/?hl=%2Bchecking+%2Bfile+%2Bsystem#entry3245459 Hamluis.

* If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
* If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.

Click Start and in "Start search" type
cmd
Hold SHIFT and CTR key, press Enter.
At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one:
Please, note the spaces.

* chkntfs /d <--- (This will reset autocheck options to default...will come back invalid on some installations)
* chkntfs /c C: <--- (This will allow checking the specified drive )
* chkntfs /x C: <--- (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)

At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "OK".
At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one:
Again, note the spaces.

* chkdsk /f /r C: <--- (To manually run a full chkdsk operation on the specified drive)
* Y <--- (To accept having it run on the next boot)

This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset the Dirty Bit.
Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type:
fsutil dirty query C:
press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Reboot again and see if chkdsk still runs on startup.

I have the same problem and Ive done the steps correctly up to here but I dont know what to do after I type in the capital Y in CMD.  Do I restart my computer or just leave it?

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2013 - 06:38 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

Read last line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users