Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to wipe off a hard drive that is locked by security system

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cococherie

Cococherie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

I did a really stupid thing. I loaded a security system on my pc (winmagic) and I failed to write down the password. I was so sure I would remember it. I did not.

when it boots up I can only get to the screen that asks for the password.

If I  hit f1, I  get to some screens I do not really understand about booting from a cd.
I want to wipe off the hard drive assuming that will wipe off the security system that has locked up my hard drive. HOW do i do that? I'd like to wipe the HD and reuse it and then properly install the security software.
I read about dban but that would mean I could "see" the prompts and the wizard. All I can see is the page that asks for my password.
Any and all help gratefully received.
Cococherie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

If the computer is an OEM like HP or Dell, they usually have a recovery partition that will take you back to a factory state by pressing a key while booting the computer. What is the make of your computer?

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

Hi, For what it is worth DBAN is on a bootable CD. What that means is that as long as You see the system prompts, such as press F1 or F2 or Del for setup and the makers Logo you should be OK.

That means You need to go into the BIOS setup and make sure that the hard drive controller is not set to raid or AHCI so that DBAN can see the hard drive, Then set the Bootup order to use the CD or DVD drive first and boot DBAN.

Warning! Please read this first.
This means that everything on the entire hard drive will be gone. This includes other drive letters, Diagnostic or recovery partitions. This can include other hard drives in the computer.

Are You sure You do not want to try something less drastic? Have You tried contacting the Software people?

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

JohnC_21 has the right idea and rotor123's warning should encourage you not to use DBAN.

Give us some info on your computer....brand...model...and OS. I think with that info someone will give you instructions for

reinstalling your Windows using your hidden recovery partition that will be much better than reinstalling using a Windows install CD

and having to then find all the drivers to complete the reinstall.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Cococherie

Cococherie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

Thank you. The hdrive is backed up It is a HP desktop a72n I think is the model number XP professional is os

I can  hit f 2 can get to a screen that says it will boot from a cd. but it has not done so. I will try again with dban on th e cd

I don't have any idea how to get to the hidden partitions. The whole disc has been encrytped and needs pre boot authentication to get to the

contents. I lost the password.

thanks

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:26 AM

That ID is not correct....could not find doing a search using that ID.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

I read a little on WinMagic's SecureDoc whole disk encryption and from what I can tell, it installs it's own boot loader and a pre-boot authentication with password is required,similar to Truecrypt. If that is the case, and the whole disk is encrypted and not just the system partition, I think the option to boot to the Recovery Partition is not an option.

#8 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

It's may be that only the OS partition has been encrypted.  If this is the case then it should be possible to replace the MBR/bootloader and from there access the recovery partition, frequently by pressing F10 during boot on HP's.

#9 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

Try this first? This utility can Crypto-Erase a TCG Opal Drive issued by any version of SecureDoc without needing any DBK or ENC files. http://www.utexas.edu/its/help/encrypt/1838

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#10 Cococherie

Cococherie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Try this first? This utility can Crypto-Erase a TCG Opal Drive issued by any version of SecureDoc without needing any DBK or ENC files. http://www.utexas.edu/its/help/encrypt/1838

Hi Thanks but where do I get this utility. I googled it an got an article that seemed to address an administrator could use it for a group of computers. This is a stand alone computer and I'm whatever admin there is.

I

#11 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

Hi Thanks but where do I get this utility. I googled it an got an article that seemed to address an administrator could use it for a group of computers. This is a stand alone computer and I'm whatever admin there is.
I
Crypto-Erase Program is on the link I posted http://www.utexas.edu/its/help/encrypt/1838

Download the OpalCryptoErase files from https://webdav.austin.utexas.edu/ewde/!%20SecureDoc%20Tools Unfortunately, it requires login from an authorised user.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#12 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

Hi Cococherie,

Download the Partition Wizard Bootable CD and burn the image to a blank CD-R.  If you don't have the appropriate software to do this, you can download ImgBurn to do it.

Boot your system from the CD.  When the Partition Wizard window opens your disk(s) will be displayed.

If you only have one partition on the disk (the encrypted one), the select the Disk (e.g. Disk 1) and then select Delete All Partitions from the Action menu on the left.  Click Yes in the warning dialog box and then click on Apply at the top left.

Now you can create a new partition to reinstall your OS on (I can guide you through this if you need help).

If you have more than one partition, then select the encrypted partition and then select Delete Partition.  Click Yes in the warning dialog box and then click Apply.

Now select the Disk and then select Rebuild MBR.  Click Apply.

You can now create a new partition in the unallocated space left by the deleted partition.

If the second method does not work then you will need to delete all partitions as in the first method.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users