Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alienware Aurora 7500 R4 Upgrading Questions and Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joey Moe

Joey Moe

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hello ladies n' gents, I'm planning on upgrading my CPU from:

D-ATHLON 64 x2 5200+ AM2 DC processor

to an i7 4770k. However the problem is that the sockets don't align and therefore I'll end up having to replace my foxconn nforce 590 SLI motherboard. My knowledge about computer hardware is only as far as the internet can take me, which is a whole lot but limited in practicality. My current desktop computer is an aurora 7500 R4 which i purchased back in 06. My desktop PC currently has the following:

-Full-tower black case 2.0B alienware P2 Chassis (will this mechanically/physically constrain putting/choosing a new motherboard?)

-2GB of ram (XG691 QIMONDA 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 JEDEC STD REV. EU)
[i'll get back to this later in my thread post]

-Integrated audio c51XEM2AA sound card (Will I have to alter this so its compatible with the new motherboard?)

-Geforce Gtx 460 1GB (I assume the GPU slot of the new motherboard will be compatible with the 460?)

-Alienware 750 watt OEM ATX PSU (I couldn't find the complete specs of this on any online source nor the alienware website, will this be sufficient for running the new CPU?)

-XP operating system

-Thermaltake 760is bigwater liquid cooling system connected to my current CPU (can this work on an i7 CPU?)

I have the complete list of specs for my PC but I think this is sufficient information to make any decisions as installing a new motherboard is reliant on the surrounding hardware i have installed. 

My major reason for upgrading my CPU in the first place is that my fps playing online games has bit the dust since I last played, which was 60 fps flat in WOW back in 08-09. People are pointing the finger at my old CPU and recommended me an i7 which will make a world of a difference. 

So my questions, on top the pre-existing ones, are:
1) Is this drastic change necessary? or can a small tweak like increasing my ram to 4g make the difference i need? 

2)Should I just purchase a new desktop tower? I am reluctant on this decision because of all the work I've done to it. It runs great, just need extra juice to keep up with modern technology

3)If you guys recommend the motherboard swap, could you answer the previous questions I had in my specs list. 

Thanks a lot for your time!

Any advice or recommendations is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

Hello ladies n' gents, I'm planning on upgrading my CPU from:

D-ATHLON 64 x2 5200+ AM2 DC processor

to an i7 4770k. However the problem is that the sockets don't align and therefore I'll end up having to replace my foxconn nforce 590 SLI motherboard. My knowledge about computer hardware is only as far as the internet can take me, which is a whole lot but limited in practicality. My current desktop computer is an aurora 7500 R4 which i purchased back in 06. My desktop PC currently has the following:

-Full-tower black case 2.0B alienware P2 Chassis (will this mechanically/physically constrain putting/choosing a new motherboard?)

-2GB of ram (XG691 QIMONDA 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 JEDEC STD REV. EU)
[i'll get back to this later in my thread post]

-Integrated audio c51XEM2AA sound card (Will I have to alter this so its compatible with the new motherboard?)

-Geforce Gtx 460 1GB (I assume the GPU slot of the new motherboard will be compatible with the 460?)

-Alienware 750 watt OEM ATX PSU (I couldn't find the complete specs of this on any online source nor the alienware website, will this be sufficient for running the new CPU?)

-XP operating system

-Thermaltake 760is bigwater liquid cooling system connected to my current CPU (can this work on an i7 CPU?)

1. Your case should be fine although to be on the safe side, you should choose a micro-atx motherboard which is perfectly fine.

2. For gaming purposes, 2GB is insufficient nowadays. 8GB should be the optimal amount.

3. That is onboard sound so it is not a sound card, no need to worry about that.

4. Yes, the GTX460 will be compatible with the new motherboard.

5. The power supply is should be right to go as it is 750W which is more then you need.

6. You will need to purchase a new OS since your getting a new motherboard, my suggestion is to get a Windows 8.1.

7. Unfortunately due to the age of the liquid cooler, it does not support the latest socket. A new CPU cooler is required or you can use the stock cooler that is provided with the CPU.

So my questions, on top the pre-existing ones, are:
1) Is this drastic change necessary? or can a small tweak like increasing my ram to 4g make the difference i need? 

2)Should I just purchase a new desktop tower? I am reluctant on this decision because of all the work I've done to it. It runs great, just need extra juice to keep up with modern technology

3)If you guys recommend the motherboard swap, could you answer the previous questions I had in my specs list. 

1. With WoW, it is really really CPU demanding hence the upgrade to a 4770K will significantly boost performance and a 4GB ram upgrade will make minor differences but a CPU and Ram upgrade would make the most difference. 

2. The case is fine, no need to purchase a new case although there could be a slight issue with the front panel connectors as it might custom.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Joey Moe

Joey Moe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the reply, seems like the majority of the hardware needs to go, including the liquid cooling system. Are you positive the thermaltake I have won't be compatible with the CPU? I hate to see it go, it works wonders for my current CPU. Perhaps if I purchase from foxconn it'll be compatible?

When I said should I purchase a new desktop tower, I meant an already pre-built/pre-installed computer without the monitor consisting of the GPU, CPU and specs i desire. I know newegg has some neat stuff for affordable prices. Or is that not the way to go?

Edited by Joey Moe, 29 December 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:58 AM

Thanks for the reply, seems like the majority of the hardware needs to go, including the liquid cooling system. Are you positive the thermaltake I have won't be compatible with the CPU? I hate to see it go, it works wonders for my current CPU. Perhaps if I purchase from foxconn it'll be compatible?

When I said should I purchase a new desktop tower, I meant an already pre-built/pre-installed computer without the monitor consisting of the GPU, CPU and specs i desire. I know newegg has some neat stuff for affordable prices. Or is that not the way to go?

Yes i am positive, as the socket LGA1150 is not supported and you cannot purchase from Foxconn since they are a OEM company. You could purchase a awesome prebuilt system from Maingear but it can be costly although the systems on Newegg are pretty decent. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Joey Moe

Joey Moe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for the continued support, I'm looking into purchasing this bundle from tigerdirect:

Intel Core I5 3570K CPU/Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H MB/8GB DDR3 Patriot Viper Xtreme Memory Bundle

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8688707&CatId=6982]&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&utm_source=Linkshare&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=je6NUbpObpQ&AffiliateID=je6NUbpObpQ-xGl7aFF7hUccvLE9X96xbw

and perhaps replacing the LCS I currently have installed with something of a similar size (120mm i believe). Do you have any recommendations? I prefer something refillable like the one i currently have because the previous LCS (The OEM from alienware non-refillable/fully concealed) dried out and the unit had to be replaced within a 1 year and a half. However, with the new technology I'm sure there's a ton thats non-refillable that can be kept for several years without any issue.

I appreciate all the help! 

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the continued support, I'm looking into purchasing this bundle from tigerdirect:

Intel Core I5 3570K CPU/Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H MB/8GB DDR3 Patriot Viper Xtreme Memory Bundle

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8688707&CatId=6982]&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&utm_source=Linkshare&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=je6NUbpObpQ&AffiliateID=je6NUbpObpQ-xGl7aFF7hUccvLE9X96xbw

and perhaps replacing the LCS I currently have installed with something of a similar size (120mm i believe). Do you have any recommendations? I prefer something refillable like the one i currently have because the previous LCS (The OEM from alienware non-refillable/fully concealed) dried out and the unit had to be replaced within a 1 year and a half. However, with the new technology I'm sure there's a ton thats non-refillable that can be kept for several years without any issue.

I appreciate all the help! 

Unfortunately there is no 120mm refillable LCS that i know of but LCS has come a long way and they are really reliable nowadays. My recommendation for one would be the Corsair H80i.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users