Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Has Network Connection, but no connection showing in Browsers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cramit2000

cramit2000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

First off, just wanted to say I'm new to this forum although I've known about this site for quite some time and at work I frequent these topics to look for hints and advice for fixing computers for our clients at work. I also want to say thank you in advance to anyone/everyone that takes the time to read my post here.

Ok, so I've been in the PC Tech repair field for quite awhile but I seemed to have fallen victim to some malware myself and I'm absolutely stumped about how to fix my current issue. Was downloading some stuff, and I'm assuming one of the sites I was using downloading something in the background. I ran about a half dozen or so malware removal tools including, HitmanPro (trial version), SuperAntispyware, Emergencykit, Totaldefense (aka CA antivirus), RogueKiller, RKill, Malwarebytes...

All of these picked up infections and have been removed thus stabilizing my system. Things like media player were crashing as well as other programs initially but now everything appears to be working normally for the most part. Most of my anti-malware programs were able to connect to the internet and download definition updates but some of them couldn't. Also programs like skype and steam are still able to connect to the internet as well, I can play my games and such, although steam can't display any of its ads for game promotions and such. I can also see the other computers on my network and ping websites from the command prompt.

As I'm posting this, I'm using a Virtual Box that I've setup with the same copy of windows 7 that I have loaded on the infected machine. The Virtual box (which is its own self contained installation) is able to function normally separate from the main operating system and that's what I'm using to make this post from the infected machine. I checked all the obvious stuff, no proxies are set, I even ran Tweaking and Combofix to be sure all windows settings are set to their default settings although Combofix found and cleaned an infected file Userinit.exe...

I even ran the command netsh winsock reset in command prompt as administrator, rebooted the pc and this still hasn't resolved the problem. I don't have any recent restore points to go back to prior to the infection, all of my current restore points were created when running the aforementioned battery of malware removal programs. I'm trying to do everything to avoid a complete wipe and reinstall but at this point, I feel I've exhausted every other option which is why I'm reaching out to see if anyone else has any suggestions. Its not that I can't do a wipe and reload, its just that there's a lot of software to be reloaded as a result and it will take time to cataloge everything.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users