Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to Push Power Button Multiple Times for Startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rvan801

Rvan801

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

For some time now, my Dell desktop running Windows XP has had issues starting up when I press the power button on the tower. I always hear the fan start after pressing the button, but in most cases, nothing else happens; there will be no image on the screen (the monitor light will briefly be green before turning to orange). The computer is seven years old, but besides this problem, it works just fine once it is actually up and running. The computer is left on continuously to circumvent this issue, though when the power goes out, it can take dozens of attempts of pressing the power button before the startup screen finally appears (in one recent case, however, it actually only took a few tries).

I've done a little research on this in the past, but was hoping someone had an idea what might be causing this, and if there was a solution. I'll be happy to post any more details if needed, and any input at all is much appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 30 December 2013 - 02:33 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

I'd try replacing the motherboard battery if I were you. Doesn't cost much and that might solve the problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users