Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hibernation Mode

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

I run XP Home SP3.  Why is it that even when within Power Options Properties I've got Hibernation enabled, when I click the Start button to Turn Off Computer there is no Hibernation button?  What else to I have to do?

Is there any downside to hibernating compared with turning off?  I could imagine that the power consumption must be minimal.  If I hibernate continually would I risk preventing Windows Updates from installing?

Tks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

When you click the start button, you go to  turn off computer, click on that, which brings up the box that states stand by, turn off , restart. Hover the mouse over the stand by button should reveal that if you hold down the shift key, that brings up the hibernation mode then click with mouse and computer should hibernate.

Now with my XP, I have to shut out of everything, such as if I am online,  back to simply desktop, because my computer gets cranky when I turn it back on. Why hibernate? Your computer loads much faster because all is still loaded in the system. As the computer is shut off, yes you do save power. Downside? Well, my son told me to make sure I do a full shut down once a week so the computer can "think". As to updates, on my system they show updates available on the turn off button, so that day I turn off.

#3 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

I don't recall what the laptop is doing when one simply closes the lid but not all the way?  Is it sleeping or hibernating?  Whatever, when you reopen the lid, the screen resumes operation.

Edited by MissLizz, 29 December 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#4 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

In Vista, the computer is just sleeping, you must put the computer into hibernation mode. My desktop, which XP, if I walk away from it, after a certain amount of time, it goes into sleep mode. ( I forget what my son set the amount of time if it is not being used, it goes to asleep). Again, with the XP, I have to set it to go hibernate.

#5 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

"Hover the mouse over the stand by button should reveal that if you hold down the shift key, that brings up the hibernation mode"

Tks all is revealed, simple when you know how (but obscure if you don't).

I have until April to migrate to W7 - does the same apply there?

#6 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

That I don't know. But I do know in Vista there is a "button" on the bottom of the start menu that says hibernate. So perhaps W7 is set-up the same? Yeah, I know the deadline...I already have W8, still in the box...but my XP is going Linux...and so is the W8...I'm cheating...

#7 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

The advice I was given was to leap-frog W8 unless you're into touch-screens which I'm not.  On the other hand I'd be interested to know more about the Linux option / angle / motivation / results.  Separate thread?

#8 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

On checking, neither XP Home or Pro have a hibernate button, nor does hovering over the shift key do anything.  I do know when I click the stand-by button and the computer "goes to sleep" or whatever, to reactivate it I have to press the power on/off button firmly but very quickly.  The screen then opens.  When I close the lid and the computer becomes inactive, when I reopen the lid, I have to click my user name when the screen opens.  Control Panel Power Options gives timing choices for a plugged in computer or one on batteries.  I'm sure you're familiar with that.

I would like Linux if I could find instructions in print.  Like a "Linux for Dummies".

Edited by MissLizz, 29 December 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#10 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

I stand corrected over the shift key comment.  I meant hovering over the stand-by button while holding the shift key down.

#11 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:59 AM

"On checking, neither XP Home or Pro have a hibernate button, nor does hovering over the shift key do anything.  I do know when I click the stand-by button and the computer "goes to sleep" or whatever, to reactivate it I have to press the power on/off button firmly but very quickly......"

I tried your original tip last night / this morning, Just as you said, waking up worked like a dream in a fraction of the time it would normally take, in spite of being XP Home.  No ... ing around with laptop lids and things here thankfully.

What is the rationale for going Linux with W8?  New thread??

Edited by Magic Sam, 30 December 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#12 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:05 AM

Correction: It was battyhippie's original tip!  Apologies for infringement of copyright,.

#13 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

Battyhippie has helped me many a time.  I'm trying to follow him to learn a bit about Linux.   I'm hoping he can set up a thread to teach us all.  (Hear that, Battyhippie?)  There's a lot on Linux in BC's Operating Systems Forum.

#14 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

@MissLizz

Not all XP's  computers have the hibernate feature, had to look that one up! So , your lap top just might not have that feature. I have a desk top, and I do have that feature. ( Looked that up in XP for Dummies) Ah gee, Thanks for the compliment, but I am such a newbie, well I should say when it comes to Windows...I'll rip apart a computer, any day, not that I know what I am doing there, either....

@Magic Sam

The logic behind going to Linux are as follows a. Since I don't know Windows and have to learn a new o/s, might as well go Linux because a. much more secure o/s system from the nasties, and b. I am sick and tired of Microsoft making you upgrade every how many years? when you have a perfectly good computer that suits your needs.

Now to both of you...check out Bleeping Computer's Linux Forum!

#15 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

I hope that if a "Linux for Absolute Dummies" thread ever happens the system will alert me. Via this non-relevant thread??/

I have been aware of Linux for quite some time but have never considered using it as an alternative to Windows, a system which for all its shortcomings I am reasonably familiar with.  Certainly the idea of using the two together is mind-boggling and it looks like I've got some catching up to do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users