Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hello, I am new From GA, been in PC a while but looking for info

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 epoweredrc

epoweredrc

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

Hi everyone, So i decided today to try to find a good Computer website, i checked out a few before decided to join this one here, it looks like you guys have lots of members and lots are active, this is a good thing.

I have been around computers most of my life, first in the early 80's with the old Color computers from Radio shack, then later a IBM computer with like win 2.0 I think and dos, then it went to just windows, That was a sad day when had no more Dos, I used to know every command code for Dos, anyways we then got newer IBM type PCs and windows keep getting newer and newer, I have owned windows 3.0 / 95 / 98 /  ME / Xp home / XP pro, never had vista or NT. I ran a old PC I had around 200 for years with ME on it, i never wanted to upgrade cause I knew that thing like the back of my hand but I finally did cause that pc finally died.

Today I own 3 comuters and manage 4 (one is my gfs laptop)

1st one is a dinorsour its a Compaq AMD sempron 3200+ only has 992mhz and 448MB of ram. its got windows Xp home service pack 2 on it. supposed to be a 1.8ghz but not sure why it only show in the details 992mhz.

Anyways, I raly use it cause its sooo slow, boot up is like 5 minutes, and getting on the internet is a joke, i feel like I am on dial up again lol, it has ethernet conection i only use DSL these days.

It has a 120GB harddrive

kinda thinking about maybe upgrading it, but not sure if it would be worth it, money wise. I think i could just buy a new prosessor, and more ram ram is easy enough but not sure about the prosessor.  not sure how big i could make it w/o changing out the whole mother board

2nd PC is a Delll GX280 it has a 2.80 ghz and I have installed (2) 1 GB of Ram into it so its got total of 2.99 GB Ram

it only has a 40GB hardrive, its got Windows Xp pro on it. Service pack 3

Think I paid about $80 for this PC used off Ebay few yrs ago, been apretty good PC but I feel i really need something faster.

3rd is a Acer Netbook, aspire, what can i say, it works okay, i get online when im at friends houses, its small and compaq but only 1ghz, 0.98gb of Ram so its slow. never been interested into upgrading it. to hard to work on i would guess. Not much intrest in working onit.

the Compaq is what i grew up around so i feel more comfuble working on it.

So that is some background on myself and my Computer experinace, i have replaced harddrives, cd drives, power supplys, i mechainic on cars most of my life, so things like this doesn't scare me, just not sure on how to match up prosessors and ram and such, I know Win xp can only use like 3gb of Ram and win 7 can handle more. im guessing windows 8 can even handle more. I really like to upgrade to windows 7, I think its more stable, we have it on our Laptop HP, and my father has it on his Emachine he got at walmart a few years ago.

I know this is the intoduction spot, guess i should post all this in another spot but wasnt sure what to say about myself.

Thanks have a nice day. BTW, my username is cause i also Fly Radio control Planes, helicopters and run RC trucks and cars.

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryoganix

cryoganix

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

As far as the Compaq goes, I'm leaning towards advising against upgrading it, but that depends on the exact model (specifically, the motherboard) and the CPU socket type. For a more specific and fully-formed opinion on how much of a payoff upgrading would be, could you post the exact model of the Compaq computer? If it's a socket 939, then it wouldn't benefit your wallet to upgrade.

My opinion of the Compaq being withheld as of this moment, I would personally go with upgrading the Dell GX280, primarily since it's generally much easier and convenient to upgrade a desktop than it is a laptop. With the 2.8GHz single-core processor and DDR2 SDRAM, an upgrade to 4x1GB RAM sticks would easily run Windows 7 with no problem. Granted it may be a bit slow for certain applications and you may need a bigger PSU if you decide to replace the GPU, it'd still be completely possible.

I would recommend looking into a new computer if you're looking for a full upgrade, since the GX280, to my knowledge, doesn't support anything above single-core processors, limiting your ability to run to certain CPU-intensive applications. Keep in mind that the type of upgrade completely depends on your use of the computer—if you're going to be doing video editing, then you'll want to get a pretty beefed-up system; whereas a simple upgrade to the GX280's internals may be adequate if you'll just be browsing the web and creating documents.

Also, welcome to Bleeping Computer, I'm pretty new here myself! I hope I was able to offer some insight as to your decision though.

#3 epoweredrc

epoweredrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

Thanks, the Compaq is a SR2002x

just did a google and found all its info here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00774780&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

not sure about the Motherborad.

i have looked at new, brand new PCs. Walmart has a gate way with like a 1TB HD win 8, 4GB ram and i think its a 3.0ghz for 4298 just for the pc, Seems like good price but I don't think i want win 8, Like to have a win 7 first. I am not one who got to have the neset now.. I do not know if anyone here runs Xplit, but i do, or try to to host live online shows and these Pcs are not cutting it, I keep getting lag time from them. I also can't have any other windows open when Xplit is open it seems to take lot of mem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users