Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about drivers and video hardware from different manufacturers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

my comp has an integrated nvidia GPU. I'm being sent an ATI graphics card. I've never been put in the situation of having such a situation arise, but I have software that uses a lot of openGL and I'm well aware that ATI's openGL support is lacking; the software in question has various bugs when dealing with ATI's video drivers as a result... and so the question is, is there any good way I can take advantage of having the nvidia chipset after installing the ATI graphics board? I presume I'd have to uninstall nvidia's drivers or something to avoid conflicts... or is this presumption incorrect?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryoganix

cryoganix

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

I've heard of a few cases of people going through hell and high water trying to get both of them to work simultaneously (mostly due to driver issues), and, in my experiences, using one graphics card for actual graphics and using another graphics card by another manufacturer for something unrelated to displaying an output on the screen (such as for brute forcing or mining for bitcoins) doesn't severely impact regular operation. While I haven't tried to get both graphics cards working in tandem for specific graphical purposes, I would very much advise against trying to get two different cards from separate manufacturers to display graphics to the same screen simultaneously. In my honest opinion, that'd be begging for a bad time filled with driver issues and headaches.

Then again, my only experiences with this sort of scenario (two different graphics cards in tandem) have been only using one of them for graphics, and my only source for any definitive advice against your proposed setup are third-party stories and trying to reason out how that setup would be possible without finicky 3rd party software.

In short: I wouldn't risk it—I'd do a few benchmarks with both cards and see which one fits my needs best. Regardless of which route you choose to take, I hope I was able to provide some insight into the issue. 

Edited by cryoganix, 29 December 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

You will have two graphics cards, a dedicated card (your ATI card) and the integrated graphics.  Since you will never run both graphics at the same time theoretically there should never be an issue with having both types of drivers installed.  There is already on graphics driver which is native to Windows, this is the one which is used when you use Safe Mode.

The only time that I know of where you would run two graphics cards would be in SLI or CrossFire.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

I had no intention of trying to have both provide output to the same screen at the same time. I was thinking more along the lines of say, being able to disconnect the monitor from one display port and connect it to the other when intending to use software that would not function properly with the ATI drivers/hardware, or simply connecting a seperate monitor to the other display port. but I know nothing of multi-monitor setups, so...

it's all sort of a pain; the mainboard and cpu are a tad older, so I can't easily just buy any graphics card I want, and finances are a bit of a mess, so being gifted an old-but-better-than-the-integrated-chipset card is a helpful step up. (this thing has a geforce 6150SE chipset, for zodd's sake. <_<)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users