Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New laptop- need advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lovemygirls

lovemygirls

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

Hello! I am looking to buy an inexpensive laptop. We really only go online and I do some word processing so I do need a keyboard. What do I look for to see the "speed"? I don't need a lot of storage space, I don't really save a lot to the computer itself. What is a good brand? I have an HP right now and it has lasted well, but the battery is shot and it is really slow. I have to restart it a lot. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryoganix

cryoganix

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

If you're okay with learning the basics of using a new operating system, I've heard that the Google Chromebook offerings were pretty solid, especially when it comes to your requirements. Due to almost all of your files being stored on Google's servers, your computer should boot very quickly and you should be able to do everything you need to almost immediately afterwards. Now, Google's Chromebook doesn't run EXE files (such as the Microsoft Office suite and most predominately-Windows programs) since it's not Windows, but if you'll just be using it for online browsing and creating documents, spreadsheets, etc., then it may interest you.

The lowest-price Chromebook is around $200, and you can find more information about different models and features over at this link: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebooks.html

PS: The main reason I suggest a Chromebook is due to insignificance of storage and need for only basic programs, as well as protection against most forms of malware. Of course, you may not care to learn how to use another operating system or may need to use certain Windows programs, but it's definitely worth looking at if it'll fit your requirements and won't prove to be too much of a burden.

#3 lovemygirls

lovemygirls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

Thank u so much !

#4 Lessynz

Lessynz

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:40 AM

I just bought and received a Chrome Book (Samsung), from Amazon. Good price, and pretty good device. Takes a little getting used to but I learned to use it really face. Microsoft Office has been replaced with Google Docs, and Quick Office. The PDF reader is built in and substituted so you can still work around a lot of the software downloads that will be absent in the Chrome OS. It's not a bad buy but does have some minor limitations. The Chrome  Web Store is completely different from Google Play so don't attempt to use Google Play for downloads for the Chrome OS. Overall it's a good buy, updates regularly when needed, and loads really fast. No worries for malware or antivirus as it is already built into the browser and OS. 

#5 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

I highly recommend Lenovo products. They have decent quality machines, and reasonable prices. If you give us an idea of how big you want the machine, and what kind of battery life you are looking for, we can better narrow down the search for you.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users