Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop doesnt sleep or hibernate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stormchain

Stormchain

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

Dell Precision m4600; Intel Core i7-2820QM / 2.3 GH, 16GB RAM, 300GB HDD+120GB SSD. w7 64bit.

so ive gotten this laptop about a year ago. since the very start it had this glitchy way of of hibernating... warranty people paid no heed to this since, well, it was working, wasnt it?

symptoms: when i choose "sleep" screen goes blank. but the whole system is wide awake. can hear silent windows 'pings' when i click the keyboard. same happens on hibernate mode. i left it throughout the night like this couple of times, and thats exactly how i found it in the morning still. this would be less annoying if it could wake up from the blank screen, as of now the only way to fix it is pulling the plug and restarting. by the way, this doesnt always happen - just mostly when ive done some heavy work on it. ie, i can put it to sleep perfectly fine right after turning it on.

tried few suggested solutions to this. like, "there could be devices interfering with hibernation," "programs or drivers might be keeping it awake" - so wasnt using wacom tablet for awhile at all. or even loading photoshop. updated all the drivers and firmwares too. problem persisted.

now, im still not sure what is causing it. for awhile i thought it might be some weird process that came with shop's windows version? so i formatted C. solution to all your problems, right? wrong. exactly then i found whole bunch of new ones. windows wasnt going to instal the easy way. it wasn't enough to format only c, laptop demanded i scrap the other drive too. something about gpt partition, uefis and legacy boot up whatever - cant recall what it was exactly nor what it meant (im not much of a technical person). tried whole bunch of different bios settings anyway. to no awail. after whole day of battling there was no way around it - just i didnt format the other drive, just pulled it out of computer. great success. but hibernation issues persist.

however, during that endeavour few lines kind of caught my attention. those fancy gpt partitions or settings or whatever that came with the SSD disk have the ability to make computer sleep and wake up more swiftly. since then i was thinking - could this be the culprit? can this be fixed?

ps - SSD (samsung ssd pm810 mSATA 128gb ATA) is my main disk that has windows on it. standard HDD that they wanted gone is only for data.

Edited by Stormchain, 29 December 2013 - 08:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Had the same issue when re-imaging a Dell laptop using both W7 32-Bit and W7 64-Bit - Sleep and Hibernate worked fine with the Base drivers that W7 installed then became intermittent and finally stopped working after I applied the latest Drivers.
I ended up doing a System Restore and applying and testing drivers individually to identify those that were problematic.

Steve O.

#3 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

I had a similar problem awhile back.

In my case is was a problem with the Video Driver.

I think re-installing (or updating) the drivers fixed it.

#4 Stormchain

Stormchain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:50 AM

i already tried that route before the format. also in my case i cant do system restores anymore... not like it would have helped, it came like this. i have windows automatic updates off though, because that folder is always viciously expanding with updates for hell knows what and i hate it (and theres still no guarantee it would fix damn thing). can someone pin point some exact patch if it exists by chance?

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

The whole Hibernate issue started with XP Sp3, went into Vista when it rolled out, stuck with 7, and still seeing issues with Windows 8.  Personally I would just open a Command window as Administrator, enter the following without the quotes:  "powerfcg -hibernate off".

Hibernate was something great on paper, but for some hardware, it does not work as the software engineers designed it to work.

#6 Stormchain

Stormchain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:59 AM

well. im not so sure windows are to blame in this particular case. the very same dvd works perfect on all the other computers, which is why i thought a format would be the fix. just the laptop with SSD glitches. and i dont care which, hibernate or sleep - either one working just a little more often would be great =D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users