Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Restarting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gun

Gun

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:52 AM

Hello Everyone,

So at the moment my PC tends to be restarting randomly. I'll be in the middle of something and it will just turn off, then turn back on. I have no idea why it's happening. A couple of times I have completely shut it down and when I turn it back on it tries to boot up but then stops. So all the fans/lights of my PC will go on for a second, then they will all turn off and stop. It does this over and over until I unplug it from the wall, or until it manages to boot up.

My computer specs are as follows:

Intel i5 3570K
8GB G.Skill RAM
GTX 650 Ti OC
SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD
1TB Seagate HDD
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
Thermaltake Starcraft Case
BenQ GL2440 24" LED Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I can provide extra information if needed. Please help!

Thanks,
Gun

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryoganix

cryoganix

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:48 AM

Just to rule out any power issues, what's your PSU's model and wattage? Additionally, do you hear any beep codes whenever the computer turns off and back on? I'd recommend putting Memtest86+ on a CD/DVD or USB drive and booting from it in order to isolate a possible hardware error if the PSU is adequate and there aren't any beeps.

Edited by cryoganix, 29 December 2013 - 07:03 AM.

#3 Gun

Gun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

I believe my PSU is a Corsair GS600.

I think there is a single beep whenever I turn on my PC, but I'd have to double-check when I can access it again. Okay, thanks for the suggestion. Where can I download Memtest86+?

#4 cryoganix

cryoganix

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

The PSU is plenty powerful and it definitely sounds like a hardware issue—my first guess would be an issue with the RAM (mostly because it's one of the most common issues). You can find the Memtest86+ downloads by visiting http://www.memtest.org/#downiso.

Edited by cryoganix, 29 December 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#5 Gun

Gun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

This morning I can't manage to turn it on! All the fans go on for about half a second, then they all turn off. Then it repeats; they all go on, there's a little noise, then all the fans stop. It's like it's trying to restart but there's something stopping it.

#6 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

One beep usually does indicate a RAM issue. Try removing all sticks and test them one  at a time. You may also want to use a can of air to blow out the RAM ports while you have them out.                

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users