Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From Win 8 to Ubuntu, a temporary fix for Reallocated Sector Count problem?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ellekaie

ellekaie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:29 AM

I have been searching for days now about the reallocated sector count. I know that this is a problem on the hard drive and not on the OS. I still don't have any money to purchase a new drive so could switching to a Linux OS be a temporary fix? I would just like to skip the frequent BSODs.

0930b6d56444475089506bda0a9519d2_A.png?a

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:34 AM

You should ensure that you make regular backups of your data as this is an indication that the hard disk is failing.  Switching to a different OS will not make any difference to the time before the drive completely fails.

What are the BDOS error messages that you are getting?

#3 ellekaie

ellekaie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

Actually few days ago I was using Windows 8.1. I thought the problem was caused by a virus so I had all my files backed up to an external hard drive and switched back to Windows 8. But then when the BSOD continued, I realized the problem was on my internal hard disk.

I am frequently getting "kernel data inpage error" during BSOD. I am wondering if Ubuntu has no BSODs or something similar to that? I wouldn't like to be interrupted during work.

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:36 AM

I'm not familiar with Ubuntu error messages, but better to get a message which is telling you that you have a serious problem with your system than to attempt to ignore it and end up with a dead system.

Try running check disk on the hard drive.

1. Type command prompt in the Search charms. Right click on it and click on Run as administrator.

2. Type chkdsk /r and hit enter.

NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

The check will probably take 1-2 hours to run.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

If you are saying...you know that you have a hard drive problem...and expect an O/S to overcome that...it's not going to happen.  There is no such thing as a "temporary fix" for a failing hard drive.

If a hard drive diagnostic suggests replacing the drive...I would think that would be sufficient.  You have run a reliable hard drive diagnosticf, correct?

Louis

#6 ellekaie

ellekaie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

I'm not familiar with Ubuntu error messages, but better to get a message which is telling you that you have a serious problem with your system than to attempt to ignore it and end up with a dead system.

Try running check disk on the hard drive.

1. Type command prompt in the Search charms. Right click on it and click on Run as administrator.

2. Type chkdsk /r and hit enter.

NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

The check will probably take 1-2 hours to run.

Did chkdsk a couple of times when I was still on Windows 8.1 (when I first got the error message) and even after reformatting my drive and going back to Windows 8 (I thought my system was infected that's why I reformatted). Didn't work.

If you are saying...you know that you have a hard drive problem...and expect an O/S to overcome that...it's not going to happen.  There is no such thing as a "temporary fix" for a failing hard drive.

If a hard drive diagnostic suggests replacing the drive...I would think that would be sufficient.  You have run a reliable hard drive diagnosticf, correct?

Louis

Btw, the one with the problem is my netbook (Acer Aspire One 522), so I don't think I can't replace my internal hdd. If I'm not mistaken, the internal hard disk of a netbook can't be replaced. Personally, I haven't got the money yet to purchase a new netbook, so I was thinking of temporary fix.

I ran two hd diagnostic, so yes, the results are sufficient.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the internal hard disk of a netbook can't be replaced. 

Yes, you are mistaken. You can replace the 2.5 " laptop hard drives or even upgrade to a SSD. Please carefully watch the below video guides.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

Just a note...you can clone everything on your current hard drive...to the new hard drive...via software...as long as the status of the current hard drive does not deteriorate to the point of not permitting such.

Louis

#9 ellekaie

ellekaie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

Thank you for the correction, Anshad Edavana. 

Just a note...you can clone everything on your current hard drive...to the new hard drive...via software...as long as the status of the current hard drive does not deteriorate to the point of not permitting such.

Louis

Noted. Although I already did a back up of all my files to an external hard drive.

For now, thank you for all the responses. Switching to another OS is not a fix to an error in the hard drive. I'll replace my internal hd as soon as I got the money. But for now, I'll tolerate the BSODs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users