Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 PAE Patch boot error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 akhiljena

akhiljena

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:30 AM

Hello,

I "PAE Patched" my Windows 8 32 bit OS. After booting, the screen goes blank and the computer restarts repeatedly. Somehow Windows 8 automatic repair saved me. But I want to fully use my RAM i.e. 6 GB. Please help. :(

Thanks in advance. : )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

PAE patching does not work on all systems, due to hardware or software limitations/restrictions.

As these patches are frequently supplied "as is" and without support, you need to consider the importance of any performance advantage in being able to utilize all of your RAM.

#3 akhiljena

akhiljena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I need to increase my RAM as i use softwares which require more RAM usage.

Mine is Lenovo L412 laptop which previously had 3 GB RAM which i need to extend to 6 GB. it has a Intel core i5 processor which supports x64.

Please suggest some way which i can use the PAE patch. I downloaded it from http://wj32.org/wp/2012/12/26/pae-patch-updated-for-windows-8/.

I dont think there is some hardware issue.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by akhiljena, 29 December 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#4 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

If (as I stronlgy suspect) your PC has Intel HD graphics, then you will have a problem trying to use this patch - most of the blog posts at that URL address you posted discuss this very issue.
If this is the problem, you will get a Black screen at bootup - and in fact this is what I had - but the PC did not reboot/restart.

The only workaround to this is detailed (with links) at the URL you posted.

As far as I an aware it works with other dedicated graphics cards.

What 32-Bit software are you running that requires more than 4GB (or even 3GB) of RAM?

Steve O.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hi

I won't recommend patching core Windows files as it will certainly cause issues.Please explain why you simply don't use a 64 Bit OS in the first place ?. 64 Bit Windows 8  came with WoW64 and a majority of 32 bit software will work fine on it (if not all).

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 29 December 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#6 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

Anshad, to be precise, if you set it up properly you are actually patching *copies* of core Windows files and activating via an additional menu option in the Boot Menu.
This is the only reason I had a play with it and can easily switch back and forth.
With Intel HD Graphics it can lose you some 'functionality' having to use an old driver.

I was reticent about 64 Bit and compatibility issues but having installed 64 BIT W7, every 32 Bit app (Including Office 2010) I have installed on top works fine.

Steve O.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hi SteveOC

Whether it works for you or not, it is still a kind of hack which modifies Windows system files. Microsoft limited the amount of RAM in 32 builds for some specific reasons. Also almost all 32 Bit apps are traditionally programmed to use only 2GB RAM. Even if you managed to work all 6GB or 8GB RAM in 32 bit OS, you won't get any benefits from it (app's 2GB restriction  ). Although technically it is possible to code a 32 bit app to use more than 2GB by using LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag, it does have certain side affects and it will make coding the software very complex. So practically most software developers still uses the traditional memory model for 32 bit apps. In short words, enabling more than 4GB RAM support is practically useless. 

Although 64 Bit OS supports more than 4GB, the benefit is only available to native 64 bit apps. A 32 bit app which is running through Wow64 emulation is still restricted not to use more than 2GB of RAM.

#8 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

Thanks - I am aware of all of that and have used MS Visual Studio Debug function to demonstrate the fact that an application will not be able to use more than 2GB because the flag is not set.

Database software on many platforms has been coded to variously get around the memory addressability issue on 32 (and 31) Bit systems imposed by the OS manufacturer - and in some cases the DB software and OS come from the same company. 

The 32-bit laptop on which I enabled the patch had 8 cores and 8GB of Ram. Prior to enablement, Windows was reporting 2.7GB of the (up to) 4GB one would expect.

Sure, each individual application may only be able to use 2GB, but given that most (all?) people run more than 1 *different* application at any one time, why would you not see any benefit in having access to up to 8GB or RAM?

Steve O.  

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:31 AM

Hi

I won't blindly say enabling 4GB + support in a 32 bit Windows is completely useless. As you said,there might be some benefits in case of running some huge apps simultaneously. But the real question is whether it worth the risk ?. As you already know, PAE patch will modify the Winload.exe ( a very critical OS system file) and also disables the integrity check. By doing this, you are opening all the doors and Windows of your system to an attacker or a Rootkit. Since there is no integrity check, a well programmed malware can easily hijack core Windows files including the Kernel. Also patching the files might affect the system stability ( OP is an example). 

For whatever reasons, Microsoft decided not to enable 4GB + support in 32 bit consumer operating systems. When it came to Windows, i only trust Microsoft as  they are the only one who know the source code. So if i want 4GB + support, i will choose a 64 bit OS rather than patching the core Windows files and compromising the stability and security of my system. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 31 December 2013 - 02:33 AM.

#10 akhiljena

akhiljena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

Hello Steve and Anshad,

Yes, my Laptop has Intel HD graphics. Seems thats the problem. I am planning to install the WinXp driver for the graphics(downgrade) and then PAE patch it. 

Is it a good idea? Now I have 6 GB RAM installed but only 2.43 is usable. I need to run some applications side by side but sometimes it lags.

I do have an antivirus. Could you tell if its insufficient for rootkit and malware attacks??

Thanks. 

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

I do have an antivirus. Could you tell if its insufficient for rootkit and malware attacks??

As for now, there is not a single Antivirus program which can detect all the Rootkits out there. 

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/10-antirootkits-tested-to-detect-and-remove-a-hidden-rootkit/

I can't say you will definitely get infected if you use the patch but i just pointed the security risk it creates. 

Btw, it's your system and whether to install the patch or not is your choice. I just explained my point of view. You can agree or disagree but i am still curious to know why you don't switch to a 64 bit OS.

#12 Matefora

Matefora

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:52 AM

help me when I choosed it it started A repair tool and disk check WTF?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users