Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cursor/Keyboard Pausing, Forcing Hard Boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 linuxpowers

linuxpowers

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:13 AM

Just lately, my mouse cursor will all of a sudden freeze up, for about 5 seconds and then start moving again. But it then starts changing cursor shapes...goes from pointer to text entry then changes to a horizontal text entry. It also seems to have a red shadow around it when it starts doing this. I also notice my keyboard freezes up...can't change Num Lock, Scroll Lock or Cap lights.

I started looking in the event viewer to see what was going on during this time and it seems that event viewer always has the same Error:

Event ID: 14

nvlddmkm

\device\video5

!051d(2558)

.....source nvlddmkm cannot be found.

When this happens, I try to log off out of my user account but the issue seems to stay with me back into the login screen because it doesn't come back up...the screen just goes blank and then the monitor goes into a sleep mode, (I/O button on monitor starts flashing.) At this point I'm locked out and must push the computers start button to shut down power. Of course when I reboot, I'm presented with the Windows Error Recovery screen.

I also noticed that now when I log back into my user account, the HD light stays on steadily for a long time and everything loads slowly. I have CCleaner running at startup and it takes 5 minutes to even start the cleaning process. Once things are back up, eveything seems fine until the mouse starts freaking out again.

I just pulled my CPU fan off and cleaned out the cooling tower fins. I pulled out the graphics card and blew the cooling fans on that clean and also pulled out the power supply unit and blew it out real good. I've turned my 4 case fans up to highest setting and checked my temps in bios before loading windows again....everything is cool but it still freaks out.

AMD FX-8120 Zambezi | GeForceGTX550Ti | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 | ASUS M5A99X Evo | Windows 7HE SP1....or something like that!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

This is a problem with the NVIDIA drivers.  Have you recently updated your video drivers?

If so, try rolling back the drivers to the previous version and seeing if that solves the problem.

I have seen a number of reported problems with recent updates to these drivers.

#3 linuxpowers

linuxpowers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

Yeah, after making my post, I spent the next 2 hours reading up on that very same thing. But first, I wanted to know just what was loading up at startup that might be taking up all that time. I went to msconfig and saw nothing out of the ordinary, as a matter of fact I already knew I had it stripped down to the minimum. But anyway, I took that information and compared it to resource manager and found that the top two hogs were Secunia PSI and Nvidia GeForce Experience. I even noticed in Process Monitor, Secunia was constantly running several instances.

So, the first thing I did was change the settings for Secunia to NOT run a startup. It's a cool program, but I keep my stuff up to date pretty well and I might get rid of it all together. That seemed to help some in that now the HD light was blinking with activity instead of steadily on.

Secondly, I wasn't sure about this Nvidia thing, yes, I update my drivers all the time and Nvidia was just updated within the past 2 weeks. One thing I tried was to rename the file nvlddmkm.sys to nvlddmkm_old.sys, download a new set of drivers and install them. It did create a new nvlddmkm.sys file but I'm not so sure that made any difference since the event viewer said "source nvlddmkm cannot be found," and I was still having issues at startup being too slow.

So, I looked into this Nvidia Geforce Experience thing and found that it's sole purpose in life is to find the best settings for gameplay! Some even suggested that if a person doesn't know how to play with those settings, they should keep it, otherwise they could remove it. At that, I went back to msconfig and unchecked the 2 instances of it that were listed and then rebooted! Bingo!!!

:bananas:

Now everything seems to be back to normal. HD light now blinks normally on startup and even goes out quickly while I'm sitting idle, watching. CCleaner comes up quickly, cleans the temp files and such, and quickly goes away.

So, unless my mouse starts freaking out again while I'm working and putting the computer under stress, it looks like I've found an issue!

Oh, by the way, thanks for taking the time to respond with your insights, and I apologize for my "long-winded" reply! Hope this helps others with the same issue.

Edited by linuxpowers, 29 December 2013 - 02:59 PM.

AMD FX-8120 Zambezi | GeForceGTX550Ti | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 | ASUS M5A99X Evo | Windows 7HE SP1....or something like that!

#4 linuxpowers

linuxpowers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:51 AM

Well, it looks as though the error came back!

==========

Event Viewer

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video5
!051d(2558)

===========

I tried to rollback as suggested but that option is not available, the upgrade installation took care of that I believe. So, I've been reading lots of forums on this and it seems everyone with this video card is having the same issue. The only suggestion was to install the last known stable set of drivers. So, I downloaded that package, but I'm not sure how to do this properly!

Some have suggested a process using DriverSweeper which BC has listed now as Driver Fusion? Can I get a "walkthrough" on this process?

Edited by linuxpowers, 02 January 2014 - 05:52 AM.

#5 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

Driver Fusion by Treexy is the successor to Driver Sweeper by Phyxion, which has been discontinued.

Download Driver Fusion (the latest version is 1.9) and install the program, making sure you select Custom Install and deselect any additional software offered.

Run Driver Fusion - you may be asked to create an account with Treexy before continuing (I have the Premium version so had to create an account).  You should be presented with the Driver Family tab of the maintenance section.

Click on Display and on the screen that opens click on NVIDIA.

Click on Delete in the bottom left corner and confirm the deletion.

Once the deletion has completed, you will be asked to reboot your system - accept.

Once you system has restarted, and the screen will probably be at a standard VGA resolution, you can then install your already downloaded driver package in the normal way.

Any problems, come back to me.

#6 linuxpowers

linuxpowers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

OK. I ran Driver Fusion 1.9, checked the box for Nvidia, clicked on delete. A message bar across the top said that some things could not be deleted except with the Premium version (suprise,) and then asked me if I wanted to take a look, I clicked on NO and then it told me to reboot.

After reboot, I ran the installer program for the new driver, chose a Custom Setup, and checked the box for a Clean Install. I had the option to uncheck some 3d Vision Driver, 3d Vision Controller, PhysX System Software and Virtual Audio...I didn't eliminate them...wasn't sure if I needed them or not. When installer was finished, it displayed everything that was installed and indicated that PhysX Already had a newer or same version already on the system.

After I closed out the installer, I went into Control Panel -> Programs and Features and scrolled down to see Nvidia installs. Everything is of this new (older) version except, Nvidia GeForce Experience (for which I wanted to be gone,) Nvidia PhysX System Software and Nvidia Virtual Audio.

So what do you think? Should I wait and see what happens at this point? Some of the forums I read on this issue was that some of the people uninstalled everything from "Programs and Features" except the Graphics Driver and then used a driver cleaner on that, as to remove everything, then a fresh install.

#7 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

I would uninstall, through Programs and Features, the items that are newer or you do not want and then rerun the installer for the driver package, selecting the same options that you did before, to ensure that all the necessary files and registry entries are present.

#8 linuxpowers

linuxpowers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

Alright...that's what I like to see, just the basics!

Yes, I went ahead and deleted the programs from the newer version install, restarted, re-ran the installer package, opted for a clean install and left everything in tact. When installer was done, I went back in control panel to see what was there and everything is now the older version!

Now it's just a matter of time to see if this driver causes the same issues. If it does, then I think I might opt for a new video card...maybe an AMD.

Hey thanks dls62 for hanging in there with me, it's always nice to have someone who can say, "WAIT, DON'T  DO THAT!" :nono:

#9 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

You're welcome.

And don't assume that AMD's driver packages are any better.  I know from personal experience!

#10 linuxpowers

linuxpowers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

Hmm, guess I'll have to do some research then. Looking at newegg, all I see is mostly Nvidia and AMD manufacturers. Besides, I just read an article about AMD's prices going way up right now. Thanks for the info and the assistance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users