Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 13.10 Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Carnovale

Carnovale

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:30 AM

My favorite OS is Ubuntu, My current OS i12.04 lts, but a few days ago i have installed new version of Ubuntu (13.10) just to check what's new think in the new version, I like everything, like icon, new dash with out iBus, and main problem is software center, does crash so much.

Edited by Carnovale, 29 December 2013 - 02:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,982 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

here is a link.

first run the commands to remove the software center then the ones to reinstall. see if that helps

Press CTRL+ALT+T simultaneously to enter terminal.

To uninstall Software Center:

1. sudo apt-get remove software-center

2. sudo apt-get autoremove software-center

To re-install Software Center:

1. sudo apt-get update

2. sudo apt-get install software-center :devil: 

Edited by rburkartjo, 29 December 2013 - 02:30 PM.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

I found that 13.04 caused more problems with my Realtek Wifi adapter on my Toshiba Satellite C850d-ST3NX1 laptop, so rolled back to 12.04 LTS.  Signal would drop, as if the adapter was going into a power saving mode, but no loss of contact with the A/P I use in our Living Room.

I am going to wait for the next LTS, before moving out of 12.04.

#4 K6567

K6567

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

If the reinstall of the Software Center doesn't fix the problem, you can downgrade the Software Center Package. Open the Synaptic Package Manager and run a search for "software-center" and check the version installed. Go to the Lauchpad site and see what other stable versions are available for download.You can then do your uninstall and new installation from the Synaptic Package Manager. 

When you run the Synaptic search you'll notice that there is also a package available called Lubuntu Software Center. While this package is graphically challenged in comparison to the default package, it does the same job. Both Software Centers can co-exist without conflict.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:51 AM

Or you could use the command line which is called apt-get

apt-get install packagename

apt-get update = update

apt-get upgrade = invokes downloaded updates done by apt-get update

apt-cache search packagename = searches for packages example apt-cache search nvidia* would look in the apt-get repos for any packages that have nvidia in them.

apt-get autoremove = removes old packages not needed

apt-get purge packagename = removes a package

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users