Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help setting up a new WLAN

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CNET2000

CNET2000

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

Hello,

I have Verizon DSL (all I can get in my area) with a wireless router, My house has three levels and the top level is where the modem and router are. The house is approx. 4,000 Square Feet (With an Upstairs, Middle, and bottom level). I have tried for 8 years to try and get a reliable connection throughout the house.. ie. Wireless Repeaters etc. and all that leaves me with is and slow and intermittent connection. Here is my idea. There is a coaxial jack next to my router and it is not in use, there are also a few unused jacks in my house (no Ethernet unfortunately) I want to get a MOCA Adapter: Like this one http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-Service-ECB2500CK01/dp/B008EQ4BQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388294393&sr=8-1&keywords=coax+to+ethernet+converter and use it on the top level and the other two and connect access points to them. I would appreciate any advice for how I could make this better, and if it is realistic. My other big question is, if I do this setup, will I be able to print using my shared usb printer from which I can print wirelessly currently, and can I use my 1tb external hard drive setup as a mapped network drive which is connected to my wireless router.

I have Verizon DSL 7MBPS (The fastest I can get in my area) (At speedtest.net it is about 6.50 MBPS) and a Belkin F9K1112 Wireless AC Router

I am completely open to any better ideas, I just want a reliable wireless network throughout my house... And finally. I thought I would throw in the fact that I have 8 Computers and use Xbox Live on this network, and the computers are spread out and the Xbox is on the bottom floor (wireless). 

Feel Free to ask any questions about my current setup... Thanks in advance for the much needed help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:45 AM

To answer you other big questions, yes the printer and drive will still work. You may have to fiddle with them to get them working.

I have never used a coax to ethernet converter so I have no idea how well it will work, sorry. You just want to make sure the coax is in good condition and doesn't have too many splits or it could become unreliable.

What equipment did you try the wireless repeating with? How did you have it set up? Setting it up is fairly easy but the settings can be a little tricky to get it to work properly.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users