Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98FE resets PC when installing Soundblaster drivers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tombuutkamp

tombuutkamp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Hello, I just got this Windows 98 PC and it's pretty good, though the sound drivers won't install. This is what happens:

I click the setup icon. It loads up.
It says extracting until it's at 100%.
The device installer comes, stays for 5 seconds and the computer will reset.

It's from creative labs but every time it will do a reset. I tried in safe mode, it will not reset but drivers seem missing on next normal boot up.

I just want those damn drivers to install.
Should I upgrade to 98SE?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:45 PM

What kind of Soundblaster is it, and are the drivers designed for Windows 9x?

#3 tombuutkamp

tombuutkamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

What kind of Soundblaster is it, and are the drivers designed for Windows 9x?

The drivers are: Creative Labs CT4750 SB PCI128 (it says something as 'web update'), designed for Windows 9x. However there's no official site where I can download them (on the official CL website it says the driver in no longer available), It's hard to find. I found it by typing the card's model name, what you end up with is driver finder software that is incompatible with Windows 98 itself. I'm a OS X user, so I can't download those programs on my main computer.

Edited by tombuutkamp, 29 December 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

I was able to find the drivers on Creative Labs site. At the bottom of the page select Windows 98 in the dropdown box. You should get a list of drivers for your the PCI128 including the CT4750. I would download the first one on the list, standalone installer 4.61MB

#5 tombuutkamp

tombuutkamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

I was able to find the drivers on Creative Labs site. At the bottom of the page select Windows 98 in the dropdown box. You should get a list of drivers for your the PCI128 including the CT4750. I would download the first one on the list, standalone installer 4.61MB

I downloaded it, however Windows 98 hangs at the driver setup now. It won't do a reset. This remembers me of how Windows 98 was a pain in the ass. I've got a Windows ME disk here though, and I know it sucks but I will try to put Windows 2000 on it if ME doesn't work out for me.

Thanks though.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

Is this a custom PC or a PC built by HP, Dell, Compaq?

#7 tombuutkamp

tombuutkamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

Is this a custom PC or a PC built by HP, Dell, Compaq?

I don't know if it's custom build. I think it is though. It has a 350W PS that has 3 SATA power connector cables. The MSI board seems to be from 2003, however it doesn't have the SATA data connectors. IDE HDD seems to be original. Doesn't have build in GPU, but an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX-200 (I tried installing drivers for this card on Windows NT 4.0, but it said that it couldn't be used. Switched back to 98.)

Now, I don't care so much about the sound, in fact I don't even have speakers (Earpods), but I find it unacceptable that Creative left us with these drivers. I just want to connect my turntable > amplifier to the computer so I can have my MacBook to work on and run this PC while it's recording all my vinyls. Can do this on my MacBook, but I've got an SSD and just a little amount of space (120GB) and I don't want to blow that away.

Could it help if I installed Windows 98 SE over FE?
(Don't say it's impossible, what I always do is remove *:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM and install another Windows version over it :P)

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

I would definitely upgrade to Windows 98SE as Windows 98FE was horrible when I used it.

#9 tombuutkamp

tombuutkamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

I would definitely upgrade to Windows 98SE as Windows 98FE was horrible when I used it.

I'll do that next week.
I will keep you informed.

#10 lti

lti

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

I had a lot of trouble finding working drivers for those Ensoniq cards. I just had to keep trying drivers until one managed to install. The one driver I could get working (and the sound stopped working later when I upgraded the CPU in that computer) was Ensoniq branded and had no text in the setup utility at all. Every other driver I could find was Creative branded and wouldn't install because they couldn't detect the card or set the card to some weird IRQ that conflicted with a bunch of other stuff.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

Just to back up the above, I had to install all my sound blaster cards lower on the PCI slots and further away from the video card.

#12 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

Hello, I just got this Windows 98 PC and it's pretty good....

Yes it sure is........ I love Win98se .. One of the BEST os's to ever be released!!

I hope you dont have problems on 98FE,i have heard its not as stable as 98se is,im not sure...... (I dont have it so i cant say for sure)

GOOD LUCK GETTING HER GOING!!!! -- MAKE SURE TO TREAT HER WELL!!

Win98/98se is a wonderful system :)

#13 tombuutkamp

tombuutkamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

I got the CL SB card working. It suddenly installed the device drivers, and happened after I did this:

My Windows 98FE doesn't detect my 2 CD-ROM drives. (Still doesn't). They did, however, as for USB and my Floppy drive. They stopped working after I installed Windows 98 Plus!. Now that aside, what I did in the BIOS is disable the Sound On Chip feature. This feature stands for onboard sound controllers, however I don't have a onboard sound controller*. Then, I put the CD-ROM audio cable (http://www.directron.com/cbl-aud-b.html, I'm on Windows 98, so I can't really insert any images here) into the Soundblaster card. It was first inserted on the motherboard. I started Windows 98, and it showed me the Windows Driver Installation. It didn't reset, the window just closed so finally when logged in, I tested the sound and yes, I heard Chord.wav :)

For now, I'll be listening to some music in Media Player.

Thank you guys,

Tom

* I do have build in sound ports, but leaving them disabled seem to have worked for my SB card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users