Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Machine shows nothing on screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 giant100

giant100

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hello,

I have a laptop running windows vista that when it starts up nothing displays on screen.

when i connect it to an external monitor everything is perfect so i presumed inverter problem so i bought a new inverter

but i get the same problem with new inverter so now i presume backlight problem.

So is it possible to change the backlight or will i need a new screen.

Laptop is an Emachine E525.

Thanks for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryoganix

cryoganix

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

If the screen worked previously, then I'd suggest doing a hardware reset.

Try unplugging the power cord and removing the battery, then hold the power button for 30 seconds. After that, put the battery back in and turn on the computer to see if that fixed the issue.

If that still doesn't solve the problem, I would recommend putting Memtest86+ on a CD/DVD and booting from it in order to see if the RAM's not faulty.

If you're still experiencing issues, then I'd definitely be willing to bet that the issue is with the screen itself.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

Since the laptop works with an external monitor it wouldn't be a RAM problem.  If it were a RAM problem it would be the same with both screens.

A Hard Reset or Forced Reset reestablishes the software connections between the BIOS and the hardware.  But once again, if this problem doesn't repeat with the external monitor this isn't likely to be the issue.

Usually if the problem is the back light you can take a strong flash light and shine it on the screen and you should be able to see the desktop.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cryoganix

cryoganix

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

Whoops, that makes more sense than what I was thinking. My line of thought was that the computer wasn't recognizing the regular display and I was thinking of possible ways to troubleshoot that first and foremost, but in this case, it makes more sense to do the process reverse of mine.

Sorry for the mistake on my part; I'm struggling to even remember how on earth I let myself not try a bottom-up approach.

#5 giant100

giant100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

Eventually got the problem solved.It was the lcd bulb so i replaced and everything is working.

So thanks for the help.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Glad to hear you got it working. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users