Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse has gone mental!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TiznaraN

TiznaraN

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hello BC, I am having an issue with my mouse, it's a USB Logitech optical.  Although that's not important as I will explain.

First off I'd like to make very clear that the issue I am having started either overnight or when I woke up as I spilt a bit of liquid on my mouse this morning and this problem has been happening since.  HOWEVER, the exact same problem is happening with another mouse on the same system and I've tried it in all different USB ports on the computer (PLEASE keep this part in mind it's not specific to one mouse)

Ok, now the symptoms.  It differs on reboot, at first I had absolutely no functionality.  So I rebooted the PC then I could move the cursor but clicking would do nothing.  I figured at this point I had fried the mouse with the liquids, so I searched for a backup.  Found a wireless Logitech hooked it up and I was having the same issue. 

Could move mouse around but clicking did nothing (same problem, different mouse).

So I reboot again, now I can click everything seems fine I think the problems solved.  However, I open chrome and now left clicking will open tabs in a new window, and then if I left click on the tab to view it...It will close.  Same with right clicking the tab it just closes it.  Also happens with bookmarks, left or right clicking a bookmark now opens a new tab and clicking the new tab closes it...

Also left or right clicking chrome settings button will not do anything.  Hovering over the icon and it will get the border around it but clicking does nothing.

Highlighting text is also proving difficult, and I'm sure there will be other things I notice as the day goes on.

-I have used difference mice, in different USB ports

-I have tried safemode

-I have deleted drivers and reinstalled

-I have messed around with settings in Control Panel, as other forums have suggested

-I have cleaned the mouse(even though it's not specific to one mouse)

This is all I've really tried so far, no settings or anything were changed like I said the only thing that could have caused this was that I spilt some liquid into one of the mice when I first started using the computer today.  That said, another mouse that was hiding in the closet when the spill occurred is having the same issue..????

edit:I installed FireFox and I don't have the issues there.  So I uninstall and reinstalled chrome and the issue persists...............

edit2:unable to pause/move spot in videos in firefox no other problems yet............yet

Edited by TiznaraN, 28 December 2013 - 01:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hi

Sounds like a middle button problem. Perhaps clicking the left button is also sending a middle button click. Here are some Chrome shortcuts using the middle mouse button that sound like your issue...

Click a tab with your middle mouse button (or mousewheel). Closes the tab you clicked.

Click a link with your middle mouse button (or mousewheel). Opens the link in a new tab in the background .

-=[ James ]=-

#3 TiznaraN

TiznaraN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

Funny you would suggest that because this mouse has been notoriously useless when trying to click middle mouse.  I've basically given up on using middle mouse click since the first day I bought it.  I just tried using it again to try your shortcuts and after about 10 attempts I got it to open a shortcut in a new tab.  Although wouldn't that mess up alomst everything I try to do with the mouse, if it's inputting a middle mouse click after every left click I don't think I could open the Start Menu etc. 

I'm using firefox now and haven't had any problems except for I'm unable to pause/select place in videos.  Since I haven't used firefox in years I'm not sure of any problems that may arrise using it but I am guessing it's the mouse issue.

edit:also................................using two diff mice so its not anything mouse specific afaik

Edited by TiznaraN, 28 December 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#4 TiznaraN

TiznaraN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

well James, per your suggestion I downloaded logitech software and disabled my middle mouse button and it seems to be ok now, I'm confused as to how this problem transfers between two completely different mice?

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Yeah, you seemed to know enough to figure out how to turn off the mouse's middle button.

Different mice, different USB ports, multiple reboots? That is something that I would need to have the machine on my lab bench to be able to troubleshoot but at least you found a workaround :)

-=[ James ]=-

#6 TiznaraN

TiznaraN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

Ya, I'm happy but it will bother me for months until the next perplexing issue arises.... :) thx again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users