Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need new hard drive for laptop w/Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SaludaSue

SaludaSue

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

I am thinking of getting a new hard drive to speed up my HP Pavilion DV6129us with Windows XP.  Can anyone recommend a size hard drive that wouldn't require me to invest in a new Windows 7 or 8?

I bought this laptop in 2007 and it still works great.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

A new hard drive will not make your computer faster unless the hard drive had a problem to begin with. That would depend on other things like your CPU and RAM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

FWIW John C is correct as far as anything that is memory or CPU intensive.

However using a SSD can make the computer feel snappier, faster.

Windows will load faster, Program will open faster, Malware scans will run faster. And anything that uses virtual memory will work faster.

I just finished upgrading the last computer to a SSD. This one in fact. It has made a difference in the way the computer operates as far as the things I listed above. As You may be able to tell I like the boost a SSD gives to a computer.

Since I started changing to SSD drives I have been using Intel 320 series and Samsung 840 EVO SSDs

If you decide to go to a SSD to replace your boot drive I suggest getting a retail kit that has a USB adapter and a SSD to enable migrating Your current drive to the new one. Or buying the USB to SATA adapter separately. Intel and Samsung both have free software that You can download to migrate your old drive to the new SSD.

Be prepared for sticker shock and be sure to read the user reviews for other drives and also avoid the brand that is in bankruptcy. You may see them cheap but.....

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

Thanks rotor123, completely forgot about SSD.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Yup, They don't actually make the computer process things faster however the perception is that the computer is faster.

Also if You are thrashing the hard drive due to low memory they could make a big difference due to speed of access for virtual memory.

HDTune shows a access time of 0.1ms for two of my SSD drives. Versus a access time of 14.0ms for a 1Tb Seagate desktop 7200 rpm drive. That is approximately 140 times faster. It is my belief that the low access time is the real benefit of a SSD drive.

Compare the Seagate 1Tb

hdtune-seagate-1tb.jpg

To a 1TB Samsung 840Evo

samsung-1tb-ssd.jpg

and to a smaller Intel 320 Series

hdtune-ssd.jpg

I suspect that a lot of the difference is that the Intel uses MLC Nand and the Samsung TLC Nand.

The other benefit is that the SSD transfer rate is essentially flat compared to a traditional hard drive that gets slower as it gets fuller.

Anyway the above is why I recommend a SSD to computer users.

Happy New Year

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users