Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell dimension 3000? Win7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

One of the machines I have a faithful old Dell dimension 3000 with XP3, it appears to have the the right stuff to run 7.  Will I run into any Dell specific issues upping it to 7, I am about ton pull the trigger and purchase a full copy of 7.0

Intel Celeron D 320 / 2.53 with 2g ram

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Id stay with xp for that, and if its old faithful Id keep it that way. Youd be better off

just buying a newer computer with windows 7 installed. For that machine to run well

you would have to upgrade the memory, and possibly the video card, let alone the bios

and other issues you'll run into. Given that's a 32 bit processor you be limited there as well.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

Yes, Not Dell specific, Intel Video, If it is using the built-in video There are no Video drivers available as I remember it.

This is not to say that the video will look bad. It just means no real Video acceleration and any Windows 7 features that require decent video will not work (or be available).

Such as Aero http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/aero

Aero visual hallmarks include subtle animations and translucent glass windows, which you can personalize. Pick from the included color palette, or create your own custom tints with the color mixer.

There's more to Aero than style. Point to a taskbar button, and you’ll see a thumbnail-sized preview—even for live video. Then point to the thumbnail, and it morphs into a full-screen preview. Shake and Peek cut through desktop clutter by quickly minimizing open windows or turning them invisible.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Found some good things, might just give up on XP.

http://relenquishedone.blogspot.com/2009/05/windows-7-rc1-installation-on-dell.html

Also a video card that works fine Sparkle 700031

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:19 AM

It should run okay, but may be a little slower than it ran with XP.  As for Aero, it will determine if Aero will run on it or not.  I took an old Toshiba Satellite 1805-S204, with a Celeron 1Ghz, 512mb RAM and installed Windows 7 Pro on it.  Everything worked, but no Aero.  Did run like a Sloth, when you tried to run IE9 on it.

As for the Intel drivers, that is one set that MS does include with the install of any of their OS's.  It is the Realtek drivers for WiFi, that they tend to not include in their OS.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

My Dell has 2g ram and a 2.6 cpu it should do Ok, there is a bunch of links to get the drivers I will need.  Just need to decide if I want to leave it an XP machine, at least for the time being.

Phil

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

It should again pull the proper drivers for that machine, once 7 loads.  Post the Support info from the dell site, showing what was installed at the factory.  To tell you honestly, it would probably run faster with Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, then it would with Win7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users