Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate portable Hard Drive suddenly not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drakescale

drakescale

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

Hi

I was watching a video on my Seagate 1tb usb 2.0 portable hard drive when the video froze, I unplugged it and plugged it back in again and now it's not recognized the hard drive's light is a solid green and I can hear and feel it working most of the time it doesn't recognize being plugged in but it did briefly show up in device manager I uninstalled the driver to see if it would try reinstall it which it didn't I sometimes hear the device connected sound when I plug it in but its still not being recognized I tried checking disk management but it didn't show up I have a lot of important stuff on there which I need to recover is there anything I can do to get it working, I have tried changing cables and computers thank you in advance for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

Hi

If the files are of critical importance then it is best to send it to a properly equipped data recovery lab. Seagate has several and you can contact them about it through their website.

There are many problems with disks that can get worse as you attempt to fix them.

If you are comfortable with the risk of attempting to fix the drive yourself, you must first get it to be detected. Here are some tips for that...

1. Shutdown the computer and make sure that the disk is plugged into it (and the disk's AC adapter is plugged in if it has one) then turn on the computer. This will allow the computer's BIOS to try and see the drive.

2. Shutdown the computer and disconnect the drive from it. Turn on the computer and wait for it to finish booting. Then plug in the drive. This will allow the computer's Plug and Play OS to try and see the drive.

3. Depending on the model of the drive, you can try removing it from the enclosure and installing it directly into the computer and seeing if it is detected as an internal drive when the computer is turned on. (this is not an option for all drives as some have circuit boards in the enclosure that are required in order to access or decrypt the data on the drive)

-=[ James ]=-

#3 Evelyn5630

Evelyn5630

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:31 PM

Have you rescued your wanted data back there yet?  

In fact, a couple of days ago, I also encountered the similar data loss problems and desperately wanted to find a way to rescue my photos and files back.

Fortunately, I finally took back my wanted files back with the help of an article:

icare-recovery.com/seagate-recovery/seagate-external-cannot-be-recognized.html

I hope this could also help someone there.

But, unfortunately, if this article also can not give you any clues, you may have to send this drive to some professional drive fixing shop for help.

Always save needed data on separate drives in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users