Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Test disk not able to retrive the corrupt bootable partition on My HDD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 S.Alam

S.Alam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:57 AM

Hi ,

Can any one help me on testdisk utility which i have tried to recover corrupt bootable partition .

i did run Quick scan deepar scan but until i am not able to retrive my hardrive data. humble request to you pls help . will appreciate.
thanks in advance.

regards
S.Alam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:45 AM

Hi

Please explain what was actually happened to the partition and how it got corrupted. What is the current status of the boot drive ?. 

#3 S.Alam

S.Alam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:18 AM

First of all i would like thanks to you , 
I have elaborate the issue given below . Kindly have a look and suggest me . How i can recover my HDD data.

"Actual first My OS had gone bad some boot files(winload.exe)  has gone corrupted. So i have repaired them after that i got CRC Error notification on this HDD. So i run CHkDsk Utility (CHKDSK /F/R) but its not fixed . seems to be some MBR File or Bootable tables had gone bad .so i tried Testdisk now  Quick Search and Deepar scan there is nothing showing the recovered file how to recover my data from this HDD. Pls Suggest . It's really appreciated.Thanks once again.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

Hi

From the description you provided, it looks like the system became unbootable due to some OS corruption. In that case, chances are great that your data will be in tact. I would first boot from a live Linux CD like Puppy and try to copy all the data to an external medium.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/slacko-5.6-PAE.iso

You will be able to browse all partitions if they are not corrupted.

Btw, TestDisk is a very powerful tool and any incorrect use of it may destroy your data. Only use it if you know what you are exactly doing.

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Btw, TestDisk is a very powerful tool and any incorrect use of it may destroy your data. Only use it if you know what you are exactly doing.

Hi

Anshad Edavana's suggestion that you should try to recover data first is good advice and there are several ways to do that including the Puppy suggestion but I'd like to address the statement that I quoted.

TestDisk can change your partition table or perhaps the boot sector (and file system if you dig into the advanced menus) but it goes to great lengths to avoid damaging the data on the disk.

What can threaten the data on the disk are things that can overwrite data on the disk (like CHKDSK) and more importantly physical damage to the drive that may continue to do damage as you attempt to recover or repair the drive.

Of course, the safest course of action would be to send the drive to a professional data recovery lab. If you are not able to do that then the first thing that you need to do is attempt to determine if there is any physical damage to the drive. This would help you decide the best path to a potential recovery.

Get a copy of GSmartControl for Windows (I'm assuming that you have the drive connected to a computer that is running Windows)
http://prdownload.berlios.de/gsmartcontrol/gsmartcontrol-0.8.7-win32.zip?download
Unzip it and run gsmartcontrol.exe

Double-click your bad drive and click the VIEW OUTPUT button and copy and paste the resulting report in your reply so we can look at it.

Let us know if you have any difficulty doing this.

-=[ James ]=-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users