Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 laptop freezes up over several minutes, not all at once

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jessman1128

jessman1128

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:12 AM

I posted this in the malware forum recently because I wasn't sure if it was a software or hardware problem. After running some malware tests the problem has continued, so I'm thinking it must be hardware somehow. Hoping somebody can give me some ideas on what exactly might be wrong. Here's the malware thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518226/windows-7-problem-freezes-up-over-several-minutes-not-all-at-once/

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - Dell laptop

For a few days now (over a week now) I've been having problems with my laptop. It will randomly (seemingly) cause several open programs to stop responding. When I sense this is happening, during the first minute or two I can usually switch between open programs and even close some of them and I can ctrl-alt-del and open task manager. Within a minute or two though everything stops responding and I can no longer switch between programs, close programs, ctrl-alt-del, or anything else. The mouse pointer still works, as do the NumLock/CapsLock keys on my keyboard, but everything in Windows is no longer responding. I cannot log off, shut down, etc. Windows never recovers and the only way out is to hold down the power button to kill the power. I've not found any pattern to indicate what will cause this to happen in regards to what programs I do or do not have open. One time it occurred while Windows was in the process of logging me in, but before the desktop appeared.

While this is happening, if I watch the hard drive activity light on the laptop it is primarily off, with a brief flicker every couple of seconds or so. During normal usage the hard drive light is usually on or flashing constantly almost all of the time.

It appears to be hard drive related, given the sudden decrease in HD activity according to the HD indicator light. Yet, I've run a full CHKDSK at restart, including surface scan with no apparent problems. I've run numerous BIOS-based diagnostics, including multiple different HD tests, and all passed successfully. I've run ESET's Online Scanner and it found and cleaned 2 threats (listed below) but the problem still remains. I've run full BIOS-based RAM diagnostics with no errors found.

ESET removed threats:

Win32/DownloadAdmin.D application

Android/Exploit.Lotoor.CW Trojan

I used System Restore to roll back my machine to two different restore points prior to when this problem started happening, and that didn't change anything either - which I think points to a hardware problem? Yet all hardware tests have passed.

Any ideas on what is going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

open the run box on your computer, inside of it, type TASKS

delete all of the tasks including the folders that are there - the one that you may need for the system will be recreated by windows on reboot

Navigate to C:\Windows\Tasks - remove all tasks except the notepad file that is named SCHEDLGU

then in the run box type TEMP

clear all the temp files

then in the run box type %temp%

clear all those temp files too

then in the run box type msconfig - on the startup tab, click disable all

on the service tab, check the box that says "hide all microsoft services" then click disable all

you may to go through the list and recheck the services for programs you want to start - however you may just be checking services that are causing the issue (for instance conflicting software services"

reboot the machine - you will notice much improvement

this is called a clean boot

- any programs that are not starting at boot up and you want them too, go back to MSCONFIG and check the boxes for them in the startup and services tabs that you had previously edited.

from there, since your scanner software found infections, you should run the following programs:

hitman pro : http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/

malwarebytes anti malware: http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download-exe.php

tdss killer; http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tdsskiller/

==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users