Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need compression utility that doesn't split

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sean R. Kurth

Sean R. Kurth

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

Okay, so I paid for the full version of Winzip, and I love it. I do a lot of registry modification, stopping the UAC prompt from dimming the screen, OEM login background, forcibly disabling unnecessary windows network services, etc (the registry is a lot simpler than most people think it is, the keys are usually named descriptively and the value is either 0-off or 1-on), so I love the ability to compress files that extract themselves to the registry (.reg files don't by default get admin privileges). However, one thing I don't like about Winzip is that is splits files. Automatically.

Basically, what happened is my mom disconnected her phone without using  the "remove safely" option, and her SD card got corrupted, all of it. Literally unreadable to any Windows computer. Luckily, I have a rooted android tablet running cyanogen (Nook HD+), and as you probably know, Linux, most mainstream distros at least, tends to ignore Windows' free space markers (files aren't really deleted, just marked as free space. Windows ignores Linux markers in the same way). So I plugged it into my tablet, used FileManager Tablet Edition to wipe the metadata (this includes the free space markers), then transferred it to a flash drive to zip and e-mail back to her.

So I stuck the flash drive in my laptop (it's old, a 2005 Dell Latitude D620, so no SD card reader), opened Winzip, and started it on zipping. I went out to walk the dog for an hour or so, came back to check on it, and it was telling me to split the file ("Place Disc 2 in drive E:/"). This is ridiculous, as 1.) I had specifically unchecked the split large files option, and 2.) My flash drive was one of those tiny 64GB PNY ones they have locked into the shelf at Wal-Mart, and it only had 18GB of data on it (a backup of my laptop's document, pictures and program files). No way was it really full with 8GB worth of Zip file that  had been compressed by 15%. But sure enough, I tried zipping other large sections of mp PC just to test, and Winzip's limit seems to be at about 4.5GB, split option or none.

What I want is a zip utility that doesn't do this. I've tried peazip, 7zip, bitzipper, and jzip, all to no avail. They all automatically split files, whether the drive has space or not. There's no option not to split, hit cancel at the dialog box and the operation is cancelled, the files deleted. Some have an even lower limit, bitzipper's is 2GB. I'm looking for a program that doesn't even have the capability to split files, so there's no way it can try. I don't care if it's just a bunch of cryptic compression methods and a zip button, just something to compress the files, I'll probably uninstall it immediately after I'm done. I don't care about the speed, it can take all night and all day, I can always do computer stuff on my droid. Any ideas?

(PS if you're wondering how I'm e-mailing an 8GB file, I'm not. I'm uploading it to google drive then e-mailing her a shared link for downloading.)

Edited by Sean R. Kurth, 28 December 2013 - 12:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DarkLordS

DarkLordS

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

As for what I recall, original zip spec limit size to 4 GB.
You can chose Zip64 option in most zippers, or switch to a format without this limitation as the new zipx, rar, or 7z.
If the filesystem is FAT32 however, it will not be able to store files larger than 4 GB, so check if destination unit is NTFS (some, even large, usb dongles still comes in FAT32!)

#3 Sean R. Kurth

Sean R. Kurth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

Thanks :) Guess I'll copy the files to another drive then format this one to NTFS. I'll probably use rar though, since zipx, even after almost 10 years (that was the earliest Winzip press release on it, June 2003) is still only reliably supported in Winzip and Bitzipper.

#4 Sean R. Kurth

Sean R. Kurth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

good news, it worked :) Guess you can close this thread now if you want

#5 DarkLordS

DarkLordS

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

7z would be a good choice too, in terms of compatibility (7-zip, peazip, izarc, jzip, and others) as rar unfortunately introduced new rar5 format specs you can extract only with newest winrar (shareware) releases.
Of course progress is a good thing, and rar5 is an improvement over older rar in some ways, but it breaks compatibility with a lot of unrar programs that needs to be updated to support the new specs - including older winrar releases, if you are the type of user that does not fix what is not broken and don't update software if you are ok with the release you have.
One wonders if the first drive to such innovations is progress'sake, or slamming competitors... people being unable to extract new rar5 files will decide.

Edited by DarkLordS, 28 December 2013 - 09:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users