Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mpetro1

mpetro1

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

I did a clean reinstall. Everything seems fine except when I try to do Windows Update I get an error number 0x8024D001.

Not sure if maybe I skipped something or didn't install something during the reinstall process. I have tried every Microsoft Fix It that I could find.

I am aware that after April 2014 I cannot get any help with XP.

Also I am using Internet Explorer 8.

Would anyone on this Forum have any ideas that could help me with this issue?

If you need more information, just let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:28 AM

Lots of folks having fun with Update for XP - me included. I spent a number of hours getting it working under VMs last week and came across multiple threads in this forum,

As you already have SP3 installed, do you have the latest (December) Cumulative Security patch installed for IE8? Might not be the cause of this error but will likely cause you grief later if you haven't.

You may need to manually re-install WU - this KB article contains links to the downloads - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928/en-gb as the error you posted seems to indicate that something is out of whack with WU itself.

Incidentally, during my VM builds I switched from WU to MU (Microsoft Update) - not sure but I thought it superceded WU. - same grief though with IE8.

Steve O.

#3 mpetro1

mpetro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

Hi again,

I turned on the computer and Windows Upate said I had 139 updates.(Very Strange that all of the sudden it is working now)

So I updated everything and it said you must restart for updates to take. Now all I get is the Blue Screen saying "The problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp"

Would you have any ideas how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Mike

#4 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:25 AM

I am guessing that you have an NVIDIA graphics card and either MS updates shipped a new driver or there is an issue with card.

Are you saying that the BSOD occurs at Boot time and you can't get into Windows ? If so can you use System Restore to go back prior to the updates?

Alternatively, boot in Safe Mode (uses a basic driver) and try to rollback the Graohics driver to a known good one - more info here if you are unfamiliar with Safe Mode -
http://www.rm.com/Support/TechnicalArticle.asp?cref=TEC9882

Steve O.

Edited by SteveOC, 29 December 2013 - 08:04 AM.

#5 mpetro1

mpetro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

I restored back to an earlier time before the updates! The computer will now boot into Windows, but now I can't get updates! It just keeps checking for the lastest updates and never stops checking. I tried to get the updates to manually install them but that does not work either. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks

Mike

#6 mpetro1

mpetro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

Hi again,

Since I restored back to an earlier time before the updates, I can't get any Windows updates. Just wondering if anyone would have any ideas to help me fix this problem.

Thanks again

Mike

#7 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:28 AM

Hello.

Firstly, check to see if you have the December Cumulative security patch installed - you may have restored back to a point prior to install.

If it is not installed, download and install it manually as WU is broken for a lot of folks without it.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41404

Steve O.

Edited by SteveOC, 04 January 2014 - 05:32 AM.

#8 mpetro1

mpetro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

I installed the December Cumulative security patch. Now it says I have 13 updates, but Failed when I tried to install them. Here are the updates..................

Update for Windows XP (KB961118)

Update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 x86 (KB963707)

Update for Windows XP (KB970430)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP (KB982524)

Update for Windows XP (KB2345886)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008 x86 (KB2604111)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008 x86 (KB2736416)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2756918)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2832411)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008 x86 (KB2840629)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2861189)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008 x86 (KB2861697)

Do you have any other ideas to help resove this issue?

The updates listed above Failed to install.

Thanks,

Mike

#9 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

What errors are associated with the install failures?

Update History should indicate why they failed.

Steve O.

#10 mpetro1

mpetro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

Sorry I didn't even think to put the error code!!

All 13 updates have the same Error Code------ 0x80246008

Sorry Again,

Mike

#11 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:20 AM

Looks like you now have an issue with BITS.

You could try going here which will run the MS Fixit app which may resolve it - unfortunately it won't run on W7 and I don't have XP right now so I cant be sure what it fixes - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

There are manual steps to go through but it is a bit involved and I haven't been through them - however DougCUK posted some scripts on another thread that 'fix' a lot of these issues en masse, hopefully he will jump in at this point.

Steve O.

#12 mpetro1

mpetro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

I fixed the BITS issue and now Windows Update works! I found a link on Microsoft. Here is the link I followed......

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/win-xp-pro-sp3-update-does-not-start/a583105f-6a52-4d69-94ee-6fc3e2da3c8a

This link worked for me! I followed all the steps!!

So far everything is working fine!!

Steve O thank you again for all of your help!!

Mike

#13 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

Good on you Mike - you did the most difficult part yourself.

Keep an eye out for that Nvidia patch that seemed to be the root of your problems as MS may push it back out at some point - I think they show up as Optional fixes - and Hide it / Mark it not to show again.

Although it is nice to be up to date with drivers, and lots of people recommend installing the latest drivers as a first step in problem resolution, I have now had multiple experiences of drivers breaking working PC's.

Dell don't always seem to update their drivers, so folks install the ones pushed out via MS Update or go and get them from the chip manufacturer website (Nvidia) but they are not always compatible. Some chipset manufacturers argue that the PC makers buy the chips, but have custom versions of the drivers to work on their systems.

Due to problems I have had in recent years on laptops, I always create a Restore Point before installing drivers, then perform a Restart and test what I can for that driver as well as testing Sleep & Hibernate functionality as well as connectivity. Only then do I consider the driver stable and I know that I can boot the system to Rollback the driver if something crops up later.

It is odd that so many folks are now hitting not only the IE Security Patch issue, but BITS is becoming broken in various ways - I wonder if BITS is not being recovered somehow when folks are doing a System Restore to try and troubleshoot Windows Update.

Steve O

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users