Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Video Card Freezes Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 marinevetoif

marinevetoif

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 02:12 AM

Hi, I would like to start out with my problem. I have a HP pavillion a747c computer with an integrated grapics media accelerator. I recently puchased a Evga geforce 6800xt pci-e card. At first things were ok. I was having a little bit of problems with it resuming from hibernation, but not that big. Now the computer wont even boot up. It boots to the windows loading screen but then turns black with a cursor that changes into an hourglass, and thats where it stops. I messed with the whole drivers thing downloading everything I could for the computer, monitor, and graphics card, but that hasn't worked. I disabled the onboard video in the device manager and in the bios, but that didnt help either. I have removed and tried just about everything. I'm a little new to all this stuff, but I am eager to learn. Please could someone help me get my video card to work. my system specs are as follows....pentium 4 htp, 512 mb ddr sdram, and 160 gb hd. This system is stock with the exception of the video card. It is not in my machine right now. please help. My computer is set up for pci express.

Edited by marinevetoif, 07 May 2006 - 02:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 enven

enven

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:28 PM

Three things...

1. What kind of Power Supply do you have? Also..How many watt's is it pumping.

2. Do you have an IRQ reserved for the Card (if not..make sure nothing is conflicting with it.)

3. Make sure it is not overheating.

-The most important are the first two...

-Regards.

#3 marinevetoif

marinevetoif
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:58 PM

My power supply is the stock 300 wt and i have no idea what an Irq is. I guess I spent time in Iraq. If thats what it means I dont want my video card to have anything to do with Iraq. here are the specs for my power supply.AC input voltage (47-63Hz):
100-127V/8A
200-240V/4A
DC output wattage: 300 Watts

I do not know what an IRQ is and how to see if I have one reserved or if there is a conflict.

Also how do you check the temperature. and what are the optimal settings for that...Thank you

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:30 PM

I do not know what an IRQ is and how to see if I have one reserved or if there is a conflict.

Open your Device Manager by pressing the Windows Key + the Pause/Break key on your keyboard. Then choose the Hardware Tab and the Device Manager button.

Find the video card, usually in Sound, video and game controllers, double-click on it, choose the Resources tab, and there will be information on where your Interrupt Request is and at the bottom whether there are any conflicts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users