Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 16 and Windows 7: please help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Slyeman

Slyeman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

So for the holidays my sister got me Linux Mint 16, I want to duel boot but i'm not sure if i did it right.

My computer is a Acer, but when i boot now it has 6 different options for what i would like to boot into, I am very confused and am wondering weather i had done something wrong...

Please help me 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

It sounds like the typical GRUB menu that you will see if you install Linux.  If the options are along the lines of:

Linux Mint

Linux Mint Recovery Mode

Memtestx86

Memtestx86 with Serial Support

Windows Recovery Environment (I'm guessing as it's a pre-built Acer machine this is likely to be an option)

Windows 7 Loader

They might not be exactly as written but along those lines - then that is what is to be expected.

As long as the options work as intended (does the Windows 7 option start Windows 7?  Does the Linux Mint option start Mint?) then it can be considered to be working properly.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Slyeman

Slyeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

Ya that is what it says, but my question is can i remove/hide the other options so i don't continue to confuse myself?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

Yes you can.  Word of warning, if you mess up grub it can cause your system to not start.

You have two main options - manually edit the config files for grub2 in Linux, or you can use a GUI program called Grub Customizer to somewhat simplify the process.  If you are completely new to Linux, I would suggest using Grub Customizer.

This link explains how to install Grub Customizer in Linux Mint (enter the terminal commands starting with "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer") - https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter2007/+archive/grub-customizer

OR

This link explains how you can manually remove entries from the grub2 menu by editing the relevant files - http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/910

NOTE I've edited the link for how to install as the first one I used gave instructions for compiling the program from source in Linux Mint Debian Edition.  It's simpler just to use the Ubuntu method, as Mint 16 is an Ubuntu derivative.

Edited by jonuk76, 28 December 2013 - 04:56 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Slyeman

Slyeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

Thank you so much your awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users