Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How? to limit Wifi Internet speed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 futuristicx

futuristicx

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

I have a prolink h5004n and i want to limit the usage of each user of the internet speed hmm for example since we have a 3mbps speed connection i wanna half it into 3 user so it will be 1mbps each user smile.gif.pagespeed.ce.8xZGdnoS_z.gif 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

You're looking at QoS settings. I don't know if the firmware on that router will do what you want but if you can get dd-wrt on it, it supports it. just google it with your router or look on their site to see if your router is supported.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

Yes that router supoports QoS. The settings can be applied in the QoS menu.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 futuristicx

futuristicx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

rc7c6o.jpg Is this the QoS how to do it then? :)

#5 futuristicx

futuristicx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

bhmycp.jpg

#6 futuristicx

futuristicx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

bump

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Looking at the manual your default interface will not do what you want it to do. Yours will do protocol QoS which means you can assign an IP address to have priority using a certain  protocol which is not what you want.

This is your modem/router from your ISP isn't it? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

Why do you want to do this?  There may be a better solution.  I can only see implementing this if you have three users who are all constantly downloading.

#9 futuristicx

futuristicx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

Looking at the manual your default interface will not do what you want it to do. Yours will do protocol QoS which means you can assign an IP address to have priority using a certain  protocol which is not what you want.

This is your modem/router from your ISP isn't it? 

Oh ok :/ umm can you suggest anything so i can limit my family members speed because when they are using the facebook app it eats the whole internet :/

Why do you want to do this?  There may be a better solution.  I can only see implementing this if you have three users who are all constantly downloading.

I want to reduce the usage of other wifi users so we will have equal speed :)

zyaelv.jpg

Edited by futuristicx, 30 December 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#10 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

Really if you want to be able to control what users are doing on the network, either build a pfSense box with Wireless Access Points for users to connect back to the box.  Or use a router that you can load Tomato, OpenWRT or DD-WRT, to give you better control of what users are doing.  With the one you have, you are going to have to either go to the mfg. forums and lookup info on how to set QOS on that product, or download the manual.

Basically you are just putting A, B, C and giving those IP's a priority from lowest to highest.  Problem is that unless you assign a static IP locked to the MAC ID of the machine, you are going to run into problems.

I would just sit down with everyone, get all on board that with the current speed you are paying for from the ISP, is not enough for what everyone wants to do at the same time, and that the whole group needs to be on the same page, in the fact that they are causing more headaches for the rest of the group, when they hog the bandwidth.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

we have a 3mbps speed connection i wanna half it into 3 user so it will be 1mbps each user smile.gif.pagespeed.ce.8xZGdnoS_z.gif

Aside from QOS feature, you can create a new wireless SSID from the router settings by Network - WLAN - Multi SSD. Tick VAP0/VAP1, etc. then create a new SSID virtual access point with different password (pre-shared key) and on security menu, tick VAP0/VAP1 depending on which access point is active. You would have another access point aside from the default routers SSID of which you could access individually.

Tekken

#12 sammytong567

sammytong567

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:23 AM

1,turn your router over and you can see information of IP address and administrator.

2,open browser and copy in the IP address and enter.Type in account name and password.

3,Open DHCP servers->clients list,you will see all the devices connected.

4,you will see control of broadband.After you set it,just restart your router,it will work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users