Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 410 reboots on it's own.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

My friend ask me to help him figure out whats wrong with his Dell XPS 410 with Vista home premium installed. The box is about 7 years old. It will reboot when left alone for a period of time. He says it made a squealing noise just before it started this. I sat it up on my bench with the side off and watched the fans during boot, they all came on OK, but the CPU fan might be running slow. There doesn't seem to be a lot of heat around the CPU(haven't check the temp with Everest, or any other utility yet) Also, while running the computer under load there's no lock ups or slow running or anything to indicate a heat problem. It will run fine till you let it set for a while them it will reboot and stop at the log in screen. I've tried resetting the RAM(2 sticks-2gb)didn't seem to make a difference. I think I'll take the heat sink & fan assembly off tomorrow and clean them(after I backup his data and pics)see that that helps. Would anyone have any ideas on this problem? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

1) System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Recovery - UNcheck "automatically restart".

2) Download BlueScreenView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.

when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All

Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

OK, I backed up all data,pictures and music to DVD. I unchecked "automatic restart" and ran bluescreenview. But got no file to post. At the bottom of BSV it says no crashes. I, also stopped the screen saver from running. I'm looking for a utility to check CPU temps. I'll post back with temps when (if) I can find one. Thanks for your reply.

#4 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

Got everest and ran it. But no temps showed for the CPU. Apparently, there's no sensor on the CPU in this computer. It's been running now for 3 hours without a reboot. I'll leave it on for the afternoon and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users