Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me pick an SSD...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 A6Tech

A6Tech

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

So, i'm indecisive between OCZ Vector 256GB SATA3 SSD and ASUS Raidr Express PCIe SSD. They're exactly the same price at the store, and I would have definitely gone with ASUS one if I didn't hear somewhere that it's actually slower than SATA3 SSDs, or somewhere the same speed... Which one should I choose, please help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:56 AM

What with OCZ being bankrupt

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2068522/toshiba-buys-oczs-belly-up-ssd-business-where-does-that-leave-your-warranty-.html

Toshiba buys OCZ's belly-up SSD business: Where does that leave your warranty?

Toshiba is giving OCZ funding to keep the company afloat until the sale is completed, which is expected to take about two months.

Warranty woes

The one-two punch of low drive reliability and OCZ’s sale leaves current OCZ owners in a bit of a pickle, as it remains to be seen whether or not Toshiba will honor the warranties on previously sold OCZ SSDs. Toshiba’s buying OCZ’s SSD assets, not the company itself, leaving warranty statuses up in the air—though OCZ executive vice president Alex Mei told Legit Reviews post-bankruptcy that the company hoped to keep customer warranties intact.

I put the relevant parts in red.

I am using Intel 320 Series and Samsung 840 EVO SSD drives currently.

The Intels have been in use for a while with no problems and the reviews on the Samsungs have been good. Such as this one.

The past three generations of Samsung consumer SSDs have been good, but if you focus exclusively on the past two generations (830/840) they've been really good.

Good Luck with whatever You choose

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

One other point that has kept me from buying an SSD is that if your motherboard has only SATA 2 ports as mine does, you will not get all the extra speed out of a SSD. I can't say this is 100% reliable but it is what I've read.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

Yes and no. You will lose some Transfer rate speed. However the data rate will still be better and the access time is a huge benefit.

I have them hooked up to SATA 2 ports.

Here is a older Intel 320 Series SATA 2 SSD

hdtune-ssd.jpg

And here is a 1Tb Seagate 7200 RPM drive

hdtune-seagate-1tb.jpg

Notice the access time is 140 times worse in the regular drive vs the SSD. Then notice the transfer rate curve for the Seagate vs the Intel. The Intel is more or less flat.

The Access time and flat data curve are some of the Big advantages of a SSD along with the average data rate. And You do not ever need to defrag a SSD either.

To put it another way so what if You don't get the complete speed You still get a big boost in performance.

If I compare a Hyundai to a Ferrari on the roads of NJ. Would you not enjoy the Acceleration and handling of the Ferrari compared to the Hyundai even if they will both be capable of going the Speed Limit?

Think Hyundai = Regular Hard drive

vs SSD = the Ferrari

This may not apply to You but most SSD drives are SATA.

I hope this helps

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 December 2013 - 04:19 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

Actually, I have 8 SATA3 ports, maybe I've forgot to update my system info but now it's updated. :D I'm still indecisive...

#6 dave1977nj

dave1977nj

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:49 PM

I have a OCZ Vertex 4 and it hasn't given me any issues at all

#7 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:30 AM

What's the capacity of your drive? How much memory do you get after formatting?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

All SSD drives work the same way as regular hard drives as far as the Microsoft size versus the drive makers size.

For example the 1Tb Samsung SSD in this computer shows as 931.51 Gigabyte, However since I allocated 10% to over provisioning to enhance its life I Only have 837 Gigabyte usable space for the C: Drive.

Over Provisioning gives a longer life on a SSD by giving the wear leveling function more free space to use.

The Opposite will happen on a drive that is full, Life will be shortened.

Leaving plenty of free space is one reason I buy my drives larger than needed. This drive is this size as it was replacing a Seagate 1 Terabyte Hard drive. Right now I'm using 115 Gigabytes so I could have bought a 120Gb drive. Then had to keep freeing up space.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

How can you allocate 10% of it's size to enhance its life? :D

#10 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

I think you just leave 10% unallocated.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

Pretty much what I did. I did it the easy way, The Samsung Magician has a section for Over Provisioning so I used that. It has other functions built in too. OS Optimization, Firmware update etc.

I now see that using this phrase "I allocated 10% to over provisioning" was confusing. I had allocated it in my mind for that function.

I should have said I am setting 10% as unavailable to the OS for over provisioning.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#12 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, thanks a lot. I really appreciate it :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic