Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Do You Mean When You Say Window Vista Is In Beta?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vinith_04

vinith_04

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 12:53 AM

Hello

What do you mean when you say Windows Vista iis in Beta?

Please reply

Vinith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:40 AM

Well, basically, it means that Windows Vista is in is in the second, public, phase of testing, which follows internal "alpha" testing.
Thanks,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:41 AM

It means it is in a testing/trial phase to sort out problems basically.

"A beta version of software is supposed to be very close to the final product, but, in practice, it is more a way of getting users to test the software in the first place under real conditions."

http://computing-dictionary.thefreediction...om/beta+version

Development stage terminology definition at Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_version
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:59 AM

Generally, a Beta release is part of a project life cycle, and means that the programme or application has reached a stage where most if not all of the criticial operating "bugs" have been fixed, and it is ready for user-acceptance testing. Obviously, the more fingers using a programme (including making mistakes that programmers would not even think of), the greater the probability that minor bugs will be found. I have written extensively on a project life cycle on my blog here at BC if you are REALLY interested the subject.

Thanks to the folks at Google, an ONLINE BETA, now CAN signify a more or less thoroughly tested programme that works, but will be enhanced on an on-going basis. One example of this is Google's G-mail which has been public for over a year, and is still termed "Beta" as they add functionality to the basic programme.

The former "definition" applies to Microsoft's Release of Vista. Because the programme is massive, with millions of lines of code, and because MS's practice is to "fold in" new modules to existing legacy code, such user testing is absolutely necessary.

For the normal user, who is not interesting in the rather rigorous work of programme testing, it means that a Beta version should not be used for any "mission critical" activity.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 vinith_04

vinith_04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:50 AM

Hello Guys

Thanks for replying,

Vinith

#6 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:26 PM

John: I HAVE READ YOUR BLOG. VERY DISCIPLINED, THOROUGH, INTERESTING, THOUGHTFULLY DEFINED. APPRECIATE YOUR TIME AND ENERGY AND COMMITMENT TO FACILITATE LEARNING . lOVE YOUR BLOG. ( I enjoy reading what you have written, as I appreciate inspiring, deciplined, examplary writings that embody susbstance ). THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT. WARMLY. YOYO. :huh:

Edited by MGBY, 10 November 2006 - 12:25 PM.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:39 AM

Project management is what I do for a living. I am happy it was helped you understand the process a little better.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users