Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Many USB Sticks or Disks Needed To Back-up Computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

Don't know if I am in the right forum for this question, but here goes...

Got Dell Inspiron 660s Desktop mit Windows 8 500gm hard drive.What  I need to know, because they don't tell you anymore, is  how many USB sticks or disks I should get to back up this computer. It will be backed up right out of the box, then the second back-up will be when I update to Win 8.1. So, I am looking at having two back-ups for this computer from get go. Nothing else will be installed, ie programs, at this point.

Any and all suggestions, greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

Forget backing up a drive to a USB stick or disk.  Spend your money on an external drive.  With a back up program you can keep a number of versions backed up.

The restore disks, last time I did them on a machine, was between three and five DVDs.

#3 battyhippie

battyhippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

Sorry for the late reply, RKilroy...son is moving out...

Now the next question is a. how big of a drive is needed and b. can you put more that one system on that drive if you partition the drive first?

Thanks for your quick reply!

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

A back up is usually a container, like a ZIP or ISO file.  How big a drive you need depends on the amount of data you are backing up and how that data is stored.  For instance if you are using BitLocker to encrypt the drive are making an image of the drive the image will be the size of the drive.  If you're backing up your data files you may need much less.

The advantage of using a drive image is that you can get the computer back to the exact state it is in at the time the image is created.  True Image by Acronis and Clonezilla are a couple of programs for imaging.

You can also do a file back up using the Microsoft Backup and Restore or Syncback.

Another option would be an online backup like Crashplan, Carbonite, or
Mozy are a few options.

#5 battyhippie

battyhippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:44 AM

Again, Thanks!, RKilroy.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

I forgot to mention that you don't need to partition the drive to store backups or images from multiple machines.  You can normally get by just putting them in different folders, i.e. My Machine, Son's Machine, Wife's Machine, etc.

#7 battyhippie

battyhippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

Ah...again, Thank-you! Folders it is, looking at three machines to back-up.

#8 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

the prices of internal HD have fallen to back where they started a couple of years ago.  What I did for backups and storing videos also, was get a USB docking station.  You slide an interlal drive in.  Cheaper than buying externals.  Plus you can get a stack of plastic drawers at Walmart that will hold 6 drives, for around $10.

What I liked to use, because I had USB 3.0, was WD Black Sata III 1 TB bare drives.  At some discount stores online they are back at what I used to pay, about $87 plus shipping. That's if you live in 48 states US.  But you get the idea.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#9 battyhippie

battyhippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

@ MilesAhead

Thank-you for an  interesting solution...will look into that one.

on a different note...favourite Miles album?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users