Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi adapters all shoddy. Mobo problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smithisize

smithisize

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hey guys, so I built my own PC and everything works well but the wifi. I have tried using a belkin N300 USB wifi adapter, and a TPLINK TL-WDN3200 adapter, and neither work properly, so something else is probably wrong.

Basically what happens is that I'll be browsing the internet and I'll get an exclamation point on my wifi icon saying no internet, but I'll still be associated with a network. So I try to disconnect and reconnect, but I can't, that part of windows is frozen. So I go to device manager to disable the hardware and re enable it. I can't even disable it because something is frozen. It won't even reboot because of this, I have to do a hard reset to get everything working properly again.

I've tried updating my USB 3.0 drivers but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.

I'm really out of ideas. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this!

Thanks

Smith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

Not sure if this will help but disable Windows 7 ability to turn power off to USB.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:03 AM

One other suggestion.

Do not use the USB3 ports for a USB Wifi

This is my current Internet speed test as of this morning with the USB adapter plugged into a USB2 port.

Download

117.44Mb/s

Upload

37.30Mb/s

Ping

10 ms

Rating
5/5 Stars
CARRIER
3/5 Stars

OPTIMUM ONLINE

Server

NEW YORK CITY, NY

There could be a problem with the USB3 ports so this is the easy test, Switching to a USB2 port.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 smithisize

smithisize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

Well I solved the problem. Turns out there are two kinds of USB ports on my mobo, Intel and via. The via one wasn't working for Wi-Fi so I tried the Intel ones and they work just fine with my Wi-Fi adapter!

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

Not a huge surprise to me that the solution was that simple.

Thank You for reporting back

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users