Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I install Win7 on my XP notebook or buy a new one?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

Here is my situation:

Dell Latitude D620

Centrino Duo T5600 @ 1.83 GHz

2 GB ram (will take 4GB)

XP-32 SP 3, runs fine.

I know it's really showing it's age (more stats below). But I'm really happy with it. I've already replaced the screen (it fell and broke) and the Hard Drive (wore out, 80GB was too small anyway).

My issues:

1-Will it be OK to run this on the internet after XP support ends? If it's not a big deal I can wait before upgrading.

2-As I have Win 8 on my desktop and can't stand it, will Win 7 run OK on this system? Maybe with 4GB of ram?

3-If I go with Win 7, do I need 64 bit?

Regarding buying a new notebook system my concerns are:

1-I still use Dial-up. No change in that situation for some time. (The Dell has a handy built in Port)

2-I will not buy a new or refurb notebook with Win 8 on it. Win 7 only.

3-As I am a low-speed internet user, many internet or video related features on a new machine might not be utilized. Are there new features I might really find on a new notebook? I don't find I need much speed, obviously.

4-My biggest gripe about my Dell is it's lousy graphics. Would a newer notebook have that much better graphics? The only games I rarely play now are Call of Duty 1-2, Medal of Honor, and Far Cry 1-2. I'm not too interested in any newer games.

5-To get a 'new' Win 7 notebook I'm not adverse to getting a refurb (this dell is) but are there some neat features that I might look to have to consider it being a true upgrade?

Thanks

Brian

Stats on my Dell D620 (as new)

Intel Core Duo T2400 1.83GHz
    1GB 533MHz DDR2 RAM (2 x 512MB config)
    80GB 5400RPM HD
    14.1-inch WXGA screen
    Integrated graphics (Intel Media Accelerator 950)
    24X CDRW / DVD Combo
    Windows XP Pro
    Dell Wireless 1490 802.11 a/g and built-in Bluetooth

Detailed Specs and Configuration Choices for the Latitude D620

Processor: Intel Core Solo & Duo processors 667MHz Front Side Bus & (2M L2 Cache)
    Audio: High Definition Audio codec 2.0W (4 ohms), integrated omni-directional microphone
    Wireless LAN Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 WiFi 802.11 a/b/g, Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g, Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g
    Wireless WAN (cellular broadband) choices:
    o Dell Wireless 5505 Mobile Broadband 3G HSDPA (Vodafone UK, France, Germany)
    o Dell Wireless 5500 Mobile Broadband 3G HSDPA ( Cingular US)
    o Dell Wireless 5700 Mobile Broadband CDMA EVDO ( Verizon WirelessUS)
    Security Hardware: Integrated Smart Card reader, TPM 1.2 Security chip, Optional UPEK fingerprint reader
    Dell Wireless350 BlueTooth internal wireless card (optional)
    Docking and Port Replicators: D/Port, D/Dock, D/View Notebook Stand, D/Monitor Stand
    Chipset: Choice of Intel 945GM or Intel 945chipset PM chipset
    Memory: Supports 256 MB to 4056 MB of 667-533MHz DDR2 SDRAM shared
    Displays: 14.1"WXGA (1280 x 800 resolution) 14.1"WXGA+ (1440 X 900 resolution)
    Graphics Chip: Choice of Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (Up to 224MB shared) or 256 MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M with TurboCache
    Hard Disk Drive: 40, 60, 80 & 100GB primary; 80 GB secondary
    Modular Media Bay: 24X CD-ROM, 8X DVD-ROM, 24X CDRW/DVD, 8X DVD+/-RW, Floppy Disk Drive, Secondary 6-cell/56 WHr "Smart"Li-Polymer battery, 2nd80GB hard drive, or TravelLite module
    Modem: Internal 56K V.92 modem
    Networking: Internal 10/100/1000 network interface adaptor
    Ports: Serial, docking connector, 4 USB, VGA, 1 PC card slot type I/II,headphone/speaker out, infrared port, RJ-11, RJ-45, AC power
    Battery
    o Primary 4-cell/35 WHr "Smart"Li-Ion battery featuring ExpressCharge
    o Primary 6-cell/56 WHr "Smart"Li-Ion battery featuring ExpressCharge
    o Primary 9-cell/85 WHr "Smart"Li-Ion battery
    o Secondary 6-cell/56 WHr "Smart"Li-Polymer battery featuring ExpressCharge
    Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2, Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2
    Dimensions HxWxD (32mm/1.26"x 337/13.27"x 238mm/9.37")
    Weight: Starting at 5.00lbs/2.27kg with 6-cell battery and CD-ROM (depends on configuration and manufacturing variability) --preliminary weigh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

1-Will it be OK to run this on the internet after XP support ends? If it's not a big deal I can wait before upgrading.

If you are doing online shopping or online banking, it is definitely a big deal. Microsoft will stop the security updates and it will be easy for hackers/malwares to steal your credit card information.

http://www.howtogeek.com/147312/microsoft-is-ending-support-for-windows-xp-in-2014-what-you-need-to-know/

2-As I have Win 8 on my desktop and can't stand it, will Win 7 run OK on this system? Maybe with 4GB of ram?

Your system configuration seems to be compatible to Windows 7. In fact, i daily install Win 7 to laptops older than yours. In my experience, any laptop which is certified for Win VISTA will run Win 7 without issues. However i would suggest download and running Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to make sure all components are compatible.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

3-If I go with Win 7, do I need 64 bit?

Since your only purpose is to use Internet, 2GB RAM is enough. I would only suggest installing Win 7 64 to a system with 4GB or higher RAM. So buy the 64 bit version only if you plan to upgrade the RAM (or plan to upgrade in future).

Would a newer notebook have that much better graphics?

Graphic capabilities of newer processors are much better when compared to yours. But again, if you are not interested in games, using resource intensive apps like Photoshop or Auotocad , you don't need a new laptop.

Additionally, it is very hard to find a new laptop which supports Windows 7. Almost all OEM switched to Windows 8 and they don't seems to provide drivers for Windows 7. Downgrading to Win 7 will be a very painful process.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 27 December 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

You will have no problem running Windows 7 on that machine. I would try it as is,and if you are finding lag, when using multiple windows or programs, then go ahead and max the RAm.

You should be able to get quite a few more good years out of it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

Well...I would upgrade the RAM to 4GB (RAM is dirt cheap), regardless of which version of Win 7 I wanted to run...and get the 64-bit version of Win 7.

Louis

#5 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

Wow.

Great  Very useful info guys.

I was kind of dreading shopping for a new notebook as I've been happily oblivious to most new features..and prices, beyond faster speeds.

It's good to know my Dell can keep on chugging along should I decide to keep it and upgrade to Win7 (which it seems I'll likely do now, probably with some more ram). If I bought new, it would probably be a Win 7 refurb, as mentioned above, all new machines seem to be Win 8.

Will going from 32 bit XP to 7-64 be a problem for the few games I play, or software I use?

If my machine will only accept 4GB of ram....would any possible 64 bit advantages be offset by keeping a more 'stable' (for my software) 32 bit?

Also, should I get the upgrade or a full blown version of 7 to install? I have my XP system backed up to an external Hard Drive. I'm thinking I'd like a full version of 7, but wouldn't that blow away what's on my HD data and programs when loaded?

I see full versions of 7 for about $89. Will it be found much cheaper than that?

Thanks again.

Edited by brian2009, 27 December 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#6 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

In reply to part of my last post, I don't think the 64 bit Win 7 would be a problem for most of my important software and games because I've already loaded all the games I play onto the Win 8-64 desktop and they work fine (after some tinkering), same goes with my important programs.

But, nowadays I really only play the games on the desktop..this notebook is primarily used for the internet and mostly simple, tinkering around programs. This upgrade is essentially to make it internet safe in a post-xp world. Going to Win 7 will at least keep the machine functional for another year while I shop for a replacement (with Win 9 maybe?).

I guess the issue is whether getting the 64 bit version would be of much benefit if the notebook can only hold 4GB of ram.

I'll shop the ram prices later tonight.

Edited by brian2009, 28 December 2013 - 02:43 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

I have both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Win 7 Home Premium...I have tried both on the same and dissimilar systems....I see no advantage to using the 32-bit version.

I found only one application which would not transfer to Win 7 from XP (neither version) and I think that any concern about apps is overcome by the fact that Win 7 accommodates a lot of older software, be they drivers or programs.

Your assertion about 32-bit being "more stable"...just doesn't ring true, IMO.  Both 32-bit and 64-bits are "stable", so I'm not sure what you were trying to convey.

Worth A Look

Really...the difference between the two...comes down to the fact that 64-bit versions allow users to employ more RAM than 32-bit O/Ses will allow.  For some people that's a big thing...for me, it's just advertising, since I was using 4GB before with XP and only went to 8GB because the price of 8GB came down to the level where previously 2 or 4 GBs for RAM had been :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 December 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:02 AM

Hi

According to the official specs, your system won't support beyond 4GB RAM - http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/latit/en/spec_latit_d620_en.pdf

Both 32 and 64 bit OS supports 4GB RAM so you can install any edition you wanted. But there is an advantage to 64bit Win7 over 32 bit counterpart. The 64bit version is more stable and secure than 32 bit. The below article will explain how and why.

http://www.howtogeek.com/165535/why-the-64-bit-version-of-windows-is-more-secure/

Also from a strict BSOD perceptive, i would say 64 bit version is more stable because of the Kernel Patch Protection which is exclusive to the 64 bit operating systems. This feature will prevent third party drivers from modifying the Kernel's address space (which issue issue in 32 bit OS). Also 64Bit OS won't allow installing unsigned drivers which don't passed the Windows Driver Model test (unless manually set the OS to "Test Mode"). These are the reasons for the reduced number of blue screens and crashes in modern Windows. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 28 December 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:54 AM

You can get a decent everyday use machine still for under $350. That machine, as long as you keep it cool, keep the dust, pet hair out of it, you should be fine.

Drop in a SSD and max the RAM, you will feel that you just got a brand new machine. As for 32 bit vs. 64 bit, at 4gb I would just stick with Win 7 32bit. If you could go with more then 4gb, the 64bit would be worth it, to allow you to utilize that extra RAM.

I will let you know, that anytime I do upgrade a OS, I always go with a Pro version. When I got my Satellite C850d, I used my Ultimate Steal discount,to grab Windows 8 64bit Pro at a decent buy, since I still have a .edu email through my school, I went through for my degree.

#10 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:28 AM

OK.

The 32 v 64 will depend on the ram price. If it's to pricey to go to 4gb ram it might be better to just stay with a 32 bit system (as it requires less ram to run).

It looks like 64 is best, but only if I upgrade the ram to 4gb from 2gb.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

Before you decide to purchase Windows 7, try installing a Linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint. I think you would be surprised, especially if you decide on Mint. You have the Windows 8 computer to fall back on and using Linux will give to something more to learn. ;-) And, you can always get uninstall Linux anytime and install Windows 7 if you wish.

#12 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Windows Update Advisor was very helpful..as was the Dell website. I know I see refurbs of this D620 with win7 on them.

It appears that a number of my device drivers (like my dial-up modem) are only updated through Vista. The Advisor says to search for a driver after Win 7 is loaded. It says that for quite a few devices actually.

I'm hoping these Vista drivers would work on my machine after Win 7 is loaded.

I bought the D620 for it's dedicated phone modem. I think they stopped putting them in notebooks soon afterwards. I know newer machines would handle a usb phone modem, but I'm not sure if they would be as reliable as the one in my Dell.

Sometimes it doesn't seem worth it to spend $100 bucks for a Win 7 upgrade when a Win 7 refurb can be had for $250.

I've heard a theory that MS wouldn't dare end XP support...because so much of the third world's computers use XP and that wouldn't go over well with MS's world-image.

Edited by brian2009, 30 December 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#13 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Microsoft is ending support for Windows XP April 2014. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users