Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speccy shows warning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

I have an internal HD I was using to do a backup image but removed it due it Speccy shows warning as the status.  The temperature shows to be good.  In the windows disk management the HD shows to be healthy. Is there any way to determine what the warning may be for?  Also, any insight as to why Speccy shows the warning and disk management shows healthy?  Thanks.

Info on the HD.  WD 250GB SATA/16MB Cache  This drive was used in an older machine for awhile as the system drive.  I removed it from the machine and formatted the drive to use as an onboard spare storage drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

The warning is possibly deriving from S.M.A.R.T. data, whereas the Disk Management healthy status relates only to the file system.

Since S.M.A.R.T. data can be misinterpreted by system utility programs (different drive manufacturers implement it differently), it's best to check using the manufacturer's test software, in this case the Western Digital Data Lifeguard diagnostic:

http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=810&sid=3&lang=en

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

Thank you, I'll check the link for WD.

#4 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

For come reason the WD diagnostic fails to show anything for this drive other than list it.  I have taken it out of my computer and have in a dock and it still shows as a drive.  Not sure why. 

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

If the drive is in an external USB adapter, then it's normal for the SMART data to not be accessible. Other tests could be run, but you'd need to temporarily get it back on a mainboard SATA port for the SMART diagnostic.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

I may or may not put it back in.  It would be a third and I use it for system image and probably wouldn't have much confidence in it now. I was given the dock for Christmas so thought I would try it.  If I do I'll post up.  My Seagate Desktop has no problem showing the data though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users