Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing a new PSU

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 taffyboys

taffyboys

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hi,I have a desktop home built by a local PC shop,The fan in the PSU is causing a terrible noise it sounds as if the bearing has gone.

I'm tempted to fit a new PSU myself as I have done small jobe before like fitting an extra internal HDD and changing a DVD drive.

Before I attempt to start just a few questions that I would like to clear up on.

1.Are all the PSU the same size.2.Do they come will all the cables.3.Is it a difficult job.4.Is there something that I should be very careful about apart from disconnecting from the mains.5.Where would be the best place to purchase one from.

I live in south wales UK.

Many thanks. :scratchhead:  

Edited by hamluis, 27 December 2013 - 01:14 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

Are all the PSU the same size?

--- As far as I know, physically they are 

--- When I replaced mine, I removed it and took the measurements to ensure the one I would buy has the same size

Do they come will all the cables?

--- Mine did. When you find where you want to order from, the cables should be included, call the company if you want to ensure it

Is it a difficult job?

--- Not really. I'm not a hardware person but like you I have replaced HDD'S in addition to other components as I am mechanically inclined

--- Make very sure you know where the cables you disconnected go back in

Is there something that I should be very careful about apart from disconnecting from the mains?

--- Very good question. I made sure I disconnected items carefully and I didn't upset surrounding connections for other areas

Where would be the best place to purchase one from.

I live in south wales UK.

--- I don't know whether not they do business in south wales UK but I ordered mine from http://www.911forpcs.com/. When you remove your PSU get the model & specs off the label and Google the info

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

1.  Are all the PSU the same size?

No, but in general they are close.  Physical size isn't as much of an issue of replacing with the same, or greater, wattage.

2.  Do they come will all the cables?

In general yes.  Since this is a build machine you shouldn't have an issue with needing a connector that isn't included.

3.  Is it a difficult job?

Not at all, this is pretty simple, four screws and the power connectors.  I highly recommend taking pictures of how it is connected so you make sure that you get them all connected, especially the motherboard.  Another option might be disconnecting the current connector and then replacing with the new connector, this is easier if you get a Power Supply Unit (PSU) with modular cables.

4.  Is there something that I should be very careful about apart from disconnecting from the mains?

Not really, just ground yourself on the case when you start and don't drop the PSU on the motherboard.

5.  Where would be the best place to purchase one from?

I can't give you a place in the UK to purchase from.  I highly recommend Cooler Master and Antec.  A general way to tell a decent power supply is weight, generally heavier is better.

You don't want to cheap out on your PSU, everything in your machine connects to it and a cheap PSU can cause you all kinds of odd problems.

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

When I change one I get colored stickers and color code the plugs. That way I can look at the old one and see what color sticker is on a connection and find the same color on the hardware end of the plugs. Makes it easier to do it right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users