Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Way over my head installing mint

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

I've been posting on XP to get a partition put on my XP hard drive.  Now I have it partitioned, and as soon as it restarted it was in dos (I think) black screen with white words saying no OS.  I have a DVD made with 1.1gb of mint cinnamon that I thought would boot the partition.  It doesn't start on it's own.   Would a different CD or DVD say with a linux distro called system rescue CD   http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

or like puppy, or knoppix any of them get me into the partition to format it, and install mint.  Or am I in worse shape than that?  Been trying to do this myself with a lot of help, to learn something.  I might have.  O, I'm putting this on an old 7 or 8 year old computer with xp os, dual core, 200gb on the partition, 2 gb ram and 2.2gh processor.  Instead of throwing the computer out, I thought I'd play with it and try to learn linux.  I guess I need someone to guide me thru it.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:34 AM

Have you set the BIOS so that the DVD rom is the first boot device? What if any errors do you get when attempting to load the mint DVD?

What software did you use to repartition the disk, and do you remember what you did? I hope you've backed up any data you want to keep as an unbootable system shouldn't be the result from shrinking a partition to make room at the end of the drive - which is all you would need to do to install Linux. In fact there is a tool to do this in the mint live cd itself (Gparted).

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

battyhippy gave me the idea to link this thread to the one on XP.   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518676/how-to-partition-windows-xp/   Everything is on another computer.  Since windows is throwing in the towel on XP I thought instead of tossing a good computer I'd install a linux os and  learn it.  I'l be having some time as I'm retiring the end of march.  I've said that about a lot of things at home.  My wife probably won't let me sit for a couple years til I get started catching up.  Anyway,  I use easeus partition manager, ( mini tool, paragon, and one other didn't work for me), just followed directions ( hadn't tried to format as I thought that was in the DVD, nor did anything with bios)knew I'd forget something.  It was simple really, I opened the program, it scanned my computer, then I drug the left side of the hard drive picture in the program to 200,000mb of unallocated space in the hard drive, clicked ok, then clicked apply, then it restarted and in about an hour and a half to two hrs it was finished and I had that screen.  No error messages came up installin mint, as the DVD player wouldn't run.   I have a list of all the programs I still had on that computer, I took a lot off I rarely used (gonna put them on my new computer so I made the list).  I think I'm in the run mode, maybe even disk part, but not sure what command to give.  I really thought when it restarted it would not be in the unallocated part of the hard drive.  I left 267gb (I think) in the C drive with over 100gb unused.  I had it mostly cleaned out for my new computer, but wanted to save files for the programs which wouldn't install on windows 8.1.  I didn't want to run linux from a CD, because I know I'd just be on the xp side of the computer all the time doing what I partially know how to do.  I really considered downloading knoppix, but knew I am mentally lazy.  Have I answered all the questions?  I forgot to add, I have not made a second hard drive yet.

Edited by heyyou325, 27 December 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#4 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

hey you could try this. go buy a usb stick 8 gigs fine or 16gigs. download puppy linux slacko

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

select the first link 

starts with ibiblio.org. folder

open it

then download the file slacko-5.6.4g-non-pae.iso

burn the image to the usb stick

plug it in to your computer

when you start your computer hold down the f12 key or what ever to boot directly from the the usb stick

then follow the instructions to install on it on the stick

you will have a fully functional linux distro

you could also do the same with ubuntu or linux mint but you will have to burn the iso to a disk first and then to your usb stick

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#5 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

also to get your boot menu back you could download boot repair disk

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/

burn it to a disk  

put the disk in a boot up and then select the repair boot option. 

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#6 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

Do I need the windows installer, or Ubuntu?  I'm downloading the windows no, and will the ubuntu later.  Also the boot repair.  I just figured how to get into Bio, and switched to boot from CD, but my DVD player still won't run, sounds as tho it tries to start tho.  

#7 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

you can install the root repair on a usb stick and boot up from that.

#8 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

Do I need the windows installer, or Ubuntu? -what are you referring to

#9 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

OK, I'm downloading the boot repair now, internet's not very fast here.  Will this get me back into windows, or just ready to install linux?  It seems like I'm getting one step done, and asking on the next.  I'm not too smart on computer stuff, but I can be real trying, my wife tells me the last part of that all the time.

#10 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

if you have installed mint on your other partition correctly you should have an option to boot into either windows or linux. if not it should repair you windows boot loader and you will be able to boot back to windows. good luck . you can always send me messages .use the messenger icon on the top of the page. always online retired. only started using linux when i was 59 so not that hard to learn. will be glad to help

#11 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

You started young.  I'm 62 now, and retiring the end of march.  Linux was one of my many retirement things to do. If I ever get it finished. I couldn't finish making the partition, I just shrunk the C drive.  That's why it surprised me so much when it wouldn't boot.  about 200 mb left to download.  Going outside to work again awhile.

#12 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

let me know when you get it so you can boots into at least windows. and we can figure the rest out

#13 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

Got it, copying it on a flash drive.  After I turn the computer on I hold down f12 to boot directly from the flash drive right.

#14 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

It made a noise, and the screen while still black keeps flashing at me like it's doing something.

#15 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

3 times, twice in one usb port when I tried to start the computer it whirred a few seconds, with the light flashing on the flash drive, then the messege  Missing operating system and nothing else happened.  Should I try putting it on a CD?  Or maybe putting in my XP rescue disk and wiping everything off but it?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users