Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Precision M90 not booting!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TY19405

TY19405

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

I wanted to know what type of ram my computer had so I opened up the ram compartment, took out the ram and saw that it was ddr2 so I put back the ram and booted up my computer. It didnt turn on and the num-block light was steady and the capslock and scroll lock were blinking. I tried reseating the ram but that didnt work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:56 PM

What was the reason you wanted to know what type of RAM your computer has?

--- Was there a problem you were curious about?

--- When seating a memory stick properly the end holders should automatically snap into place; did that happen?

--- Are you sure the memory stick was put back in place with proper orientation?

How many memory sticks are in the computer?

--- If it has more than the one stick you removed and you did not touch any of the others, remove the one you had already removed and see if the computer starts

--- If the computer starts do not shut it down afterward

--- Go on-line to a memory chip company such as www.crucial.com. Have it scan your computer and it will report what memory sticks you need so you can replace the one you took out

If the computer has only one stick then buy a replacement stick

In either case make sure to handle the stick properly; do not touch the gold edges and ensure you are not creating and static

--- Usually when touching parts inside the computer use one hand to hold the frame to avoid creating static 

Double check surrounding connections in the area you were working

--- Maybe it isn't a memory stick problem but another wire/connection became "loose"

Is it possible the computer already had problems and the memory stick issues are coincidental?

#3 TY19405

TY19405
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

1. No problem, just wanted to know my type of ram

2.yes

3.yes

5.I removed both

6.Is it possible the computer already had problems and the memory stick issues are coincidental?

Yes, when the battery is plugged in and I take out the cord it shuts off.

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2013 - 12:59 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

Try this. Start the computer with the battery removed

#5 TY19405

TY19405
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

I already ran it without the battery and that didn't work so i ran it with the battery and without the ram and still got the same problem, so im guessing the laptop thinks it has no ram. Why would it think there is no ram?

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

I suppose it's possible the computer doesn't think there isn't any ram but at this time I don't think that is the case

--- It's possible the memory chips became "damaged, shorted or who knows what

Was the computer completely powered off (Both AC & Battery) when you removed the memory chips to check them out?

--- Is it possible the computer was in sleep or hibernate mode and appeared to be off?

Go to a local computer shop with one of the chips you replaced

--- For a few bucks maybe they will be willing to try your memory chip in a laptop he has availble

--- Depending on the results and whether or not they are willing to do so buy a replacement chip or order one on-line

I forgot to include this to do first

See if you can boot into setup and see if the memory is recognized in your BIOS

Edited by cmptrgy, 27 December 2013 - 09:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users