Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Completely dead

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tryhard

tryhard

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hi guys,  dunno if this is a really dumb question or not but here goes. My pc has died the only light coming on is the little green telltale on the mb.  Was working on a spreadsheet at the time and the screen went black and no lights.  Thing wont boot, no beeps no fans, nothing.

I have removed the hdd and replugged, I have removed each stick of ram and replugged, still nothing.

Would it be fair to say that the mb has had its day or is there some other test that I can perform ?

mb  Asus m3a32-mvp(wifi)

video card Asus b169mp

2 x 2gb ram

1 x 1tg hdd

o/s win vista

Cheers

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 n2fc

n2fc

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

Sometimes it is the power supply... (most common simple issue)

Either try a power supply tester to verify, or just replace it & see what results...

If fans are all working, the 12V supply is probably OK... but if it won't boot, might be the 5V portion...

#3 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

Thanks n2fc, but have already replaced the power supply, upgraded from a 500w to a 680w in the process but still no light no fans no sounds, only the little green telltale light on the mb.

cheers

Dave

#4 n2fc

n2fc

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

I would still test that P/S... testers are cheap (around $5 or so) and it may shed some light...

Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Computer-20-24-Pin-Power-Supply-Tester-With-PSU-ATX-SATA-HDD-Connectors-/300964483845?pt=US_Computer_Power_Supply_Testers&hash=item4612e19305

Also, after verifying it is OK, I would disconnect ALL devices and ram from m/b and try to boot... should at least get diagnostic beeps indicating no video or ram...

If that still fails, then all that is left is m/b or cpu!

#5 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

I have ordered the p/s tester through ebay, prolly take a few days to get here, but I think that the p/s is a
moot point as I have already replaced the original p/s with a new one.

Have removed all accessories and ram still no signal from the board, replaced ram, hdd, vid card and switched
on between each, still no reaction or beep.

I am guessing that m/b and cpu come as a set so it looks like a replacement m/b is my only remaining option.

Any thoughts please.

Dave

#6 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

Hello again, the power supply tester finally arrived via ebay and ran the tests as printed on the unit.

24 pin test, the -5v display did not light all others ok.
4 pin hdd test, all lights ok.
4 pin and 6 pin tested ok for 12v
sata only +12v and +5v displayed, +3.3v did not light up.

My question now is what does this tell me?

Cheers

Dave

#7 n2fc

n2fc

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

Well, looks like you may need that MB/CPU after all!

Sorry, but that's the way it goes sometimes...

#8 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

No problems, thanks for your time. My next issue will be looking for a new m/b am currently looking at the Asus m5a97-r2 and fd6300 processor.  Any thoughts ??

Dave

#9 n2fc

n2fc

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:37 AM

I presume you mean the FX-6300 processor?

Nice combo... You should be able to get the pair for under $200...

Make sure your old RAM is compatible, as well as video, or you'll have to replace/upgrade those as well!

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

Before you give up on this, you could try to short the power jumper on the motherboard with something metal. Where the power button connects to the motherboard there are 2 pins (remove the current power button connector), just short those together. It may be something as simple as a bad power button. Also you can short the green and black wires together in the 20 or 24 pin power connector while it is plugged into the motherboard to force the psu on (these wires are right next to each other ont he same side of the connector. I would recommend doing a bit of research before attempting the 20 or 24 pin short so you do not damage the psu or board. You will do absolutley no damage to the motherboard by shorting the power button pins as this is exactly what the power button actually does. If that does not work you could try to remove the button battery from the motherboard (unplug the power or pulling the battery will not reset the bios) or reset the cmos via the jumper and see if it powers on. Best of luck!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

This link may help with shorting the psu to turn it on: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/22

If you have the psu connected to the components of the pc you can try this and it will force the psu on. I would recommend only having power connected to needed devices. Disconnect all devices that are not needed for the computer to post. Disconnect all pci cards (except a video card if you have one, if your motherboard has onboard video pull the added video card and use onboard) wireless cards, hard drives, disc drives, usb headers connected to the motherboard etc. Also check usb ports built into the motherboard for damage (shorted usb ports can cause this issue). If you have everything pulled from the motherboard except cpu, video card (if you do not have onboard) a  single stick of ram and the power connections to the main board 4 pin and 24 pin and the computer still does not post then I would try moving the single stick of ram to each dimm on the main board (re-powering each time you move it) and try a different stick if you have one in each as well. At this point if it still does not post you will know it is either the cpu or the main board or possibly the psu. In all my years I have seen 2 cpus fail and many hundreds of motherboards so my guess at this point would be a bad board if you knew your psu was working.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#12 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Boards fail much more often than most other components. IME only PSUs fail more, then HDDs.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

One more thing... You can easily spot a bad motherboard by bulging capacitors or blown capacitors. Inspect your motherboard while you have the case open.

Here is a bunch of images to give an example of bad caps: https://www.google.com/search?q=motherboard+bulging+and+blown+caps&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gyrQUp2hLaewyQGn8YDYDQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1164&bih=734

#14 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

hey guys, I have checked the motherboard and there are no obvious swollen or broken caps, no burns or cracks. It still wont fire, so I am going to dispatch it to the bin and replace the board and cpu with the Asus m5a97-r2 and fx6300 processor as previously stated, I will have to upgrade the ram to ddr3, just hope my vid card is compatible.

Thanks for all your help on this issue, I guess it was pretty much a "lay down misere" but its nice to have confirmation that we are headed in the right direction and not just guessing.

Anyway thanks again,

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users