Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound ASUS M5A97

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 andrew Parker

andrew Parker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

New Member first time posting.

My PC specs are...
Windows 7 64 bit
Asus M5A97 R2.0
AMD FX 6300 Processor
Geforce GTX 660 Graphics Card: 

32 Gigs DDR3 1866 Corsair memory

I don't know if the audio jacks on the back ever did work because the Graphics card carried the audio thru the HDMI port At first I thought it might be a driver issue however after removing the old and installing the newest driver package and getting no where I then turned to google and what follows is a list of "fixes" I have tried.

1st new hard drive and a clean system install of Windows & ultimate 64 bit. NO HELP!

2nd Format said hard drive and try clean system instal of the following operating systems Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit NO HELP!, Windows 8 and 8.1 in both 32 and 64 bit flavors NO HELP ! Windows Vista all flavors and varieties NO HELP!  Multiple Linux Distros all flavors NO HELP!

The Sound manager  still insists that I have headphones plugged into the front jack. I dont even have a connectorfor the front jacks plugged into the MOBO!

No matter what I try it will not recognize anything being plugged into the rear jacks.

The bottom line is no Audio out period neither from the rear jacks or my HDMI output coming from the graphics card.

So what I have done is downgraded my operating system to Windows XP Pro 64 bit and installed an old ESS Sound card. While it works I am I am frustrated and more than a little upset. I have had great luck with all of the ASUS products I have purchased in the past this one is enough to get me looking at other hardware manufacturers.

So am I wrong in wanting this MOBO replaced? After a quick google search using the model number and audio problems got enough results to make me think that it is indeed an ASUS issue and should be addressed in a more transparent manner by ASUS.

I want to thank in advance anybody who bothered to read this and has any possible solution?

THNX LYVWYRY2K

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

IMO...if the audio function works with an installed physical card...but not with the onboard...I'd say that's pretty conclusive evidence that it's a sound chip on motherboard problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users