Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer going into multiple restarts when gaming

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 asdf1432

asdf1432

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

My computer goes into multiple restarts after I play games Left 4 Dead 2 and Bioshock Infinite. I just got Left 4 Dead 2, but in the past I've played Bioshock infinite for hours on end in the months previous with no problem. Now I get like 1-2 hours tops and this happens, a couple times it did this 10 minutes into game. This hasn't happened when I'm not gaming.

Over the last four days this has happened several times. Out of nowhere my speakers start making this loud error/skipping noise like when a game has an error and immediately shuts down. At the same time my computer restarts and continues to restart about every 3-5 seconds. When all this happens the fan (I think heatsink one) goes into overdrive really loudly. I shut it down by holding the power button and when I start it back up there is sometimes a kind of grinding noise (I think it's the heatsink fan) for less than a minute and then it starts working normally.

I have speedfan, and my computer is not overheating. It is usually around 45-50C when I play. My computer is also not even warm to touch, it's as cool as if I'm afk with no programs running. I removed the case side and immediately after this happened I tried touching the graphics card and heatsink area and it wasn't even warm.

How do I find the solution to this? I know next to nothing about computers.

Here is my PC and graphics card (had both for about a year):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229361
http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/02G-P3-1568.pdf

** (Edit) After looking around on the internet I found someone who said to check the System tab in Event Viewer. At the times when my computer does these multiple restarts there is a critical level error called Event 41 Kernel-Power. I don't know if this helps.

Edited by asdf1432, 26 December 2013 - 10:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

Sounds like a power supply that is acting up. Have you replaced the power supply yet with a new 700 watt PSU?

BTW... The cyberpower computers are known for low quality parts mixed with better CPU's etc making it a bargain gaming system, but most have had problems with them because of this mix of better CPU and low cost components which are driven towards their maximum support specs.

Edited by goldfist, 26 December 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#3 asdf1432

asdf1432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:47 AM

I'm not sure if I've found the solution or not, I tried removing one of my ram sticks and now I'm able to play Left 4 Dead 2. I've been playing for four hours and haven't had the restart issue yet. Then again, I was play for about the same amount of time yesterday and didn't encounter the issue till pretty far into the game. I'll try messing with the ram a bit more tomorrow and see if it is fixed or not. If anyone has any suggestions in the meantime feel free to say them.

** K it just did the restart thing again, ram wasn't the issue I guess. I've never changed the power supply, only the graphics card.

Edited by asdf1432, 27 December 2013 - 06:01 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

Let's see what data reflects :).

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users