Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outfox TV has invaded my FireFox.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Maddmedic

Maddmedic

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

Outfox TV has invaded my Firefox webbrowser. In the past 3 weeks, Outfox TV has hijacked my Internet Browser, and has made itself my Home Page.
I am not sure how it got there. I have not downloaded any free applications..... I swear!  I found the program and delected the program file from my PC, changed my homepage back to Yahoo.....but the darn thing keeps coming back, popping up.  Scanned my PC virus, nothing.
I can't be the only one who is experiencing this.
Any Suggestions?
Thanks MM

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

According to outfox tv :

Uninstall

Simple to uninstall: Go to Start/All Programs, then to Outfox TV, and click Uninstall.

The uninstaller removes ALL features and leaves nothing behind.

#3 OutfoxTV

OutfoxTV

Authorized OutfoxTV Rep

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Hi Maddmedic and Roodo

@Maddmedic - please be assured you're not infected with anything, OutfoxTV is completely safe.  There is one rabid maniac posting hundreds of articles per day trying to drum up business for his online tech support by spreading the terms Outfox TV Virus in google searches, placing spam everywhere (!)  ... but please know there is no malicious code in our program.

Beta :
There's currently two versions available - we distributed out beta version bundled with other installers and offering an opt-out, so we have a lot of users on this version at present.

v2:

There's also Beta v2 available for download from our website at www.outfox.tv

The uninstaller for each of these behaves slightly differently.

For the Beta version, the uninstaller will remove the program from your windows machine (eg. removes the launchbar from your desktop and all program elements.  Unfortunately we screwed up with restoring the browser settings to their original when the uninstaller runs, so the user needs to override the www.outfox.tv that is saved as a home page in the browser.  You probably already know how to do this, but I've included links below.

For the V2, we included the option to select "Remove outfox as home page" in the uninstall process. Just select the check box on the way through uninstalling using that version, and it will remove the saved tab in your browser and reset it back to original.

-----

Browser reset instructions if required :

Specific instructions for modern browsers are located at:
Firefox :
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/How%20to%20set%20the%20home%20page
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

Google Chrome :
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2765944?hl=en

Internet Explorer :
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/internet-explorer/change-home-page#ie=ie-11

NEW TAB SETTING - FIREFOX

Reset the Firefox Home Page under Options / General / Home Page
(https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/How%20to%20set%20the%20home%20page)

The new tab in Firefox may also open the website www.outfox.tv.
To reset this there is a Mozilla supplied extension here :

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/searchreset/

----

Please don't hesitate to email support@outfox.tv if you need a hand.

Cheers

Carl

OutfoxTV Support

Edited by OutfoxTV, 27 December 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#4 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

According to outfox tv :

Uninstall

Simple to uninstall: Go to Start/All Programs, then to Outfox TV, and click Uninstall.

It does not uninstall for me. I click Uninstall, screen pops up asking to uninstall so I click uninstall and a folder from system 32 opens. I have no idea how to remove it.

Clydesdale™

#5 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

How do I get ride of this annoying software?

Clydesdale™

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

Type ABOUT:CONFIG in address bar, hit Enter.

Click on I'll Be Careful, I Promise .

Scroll down until you see http:\\outfox.tv

Double click on that string and delete it.

Leave the box blank and hit ok. This removes it from your browser.
Restart the computer.

Edited by boopme, 13 March 2014 - 12:59 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 prorank

prorank

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

Well I have to disagree with you saying that outfox.tv is fine. It is a horrible adaware borderline virus. You can't just uninstal it. It hijacks your browser, computer everything. It will not remove from program files folder. When you try to delete it, you get permission deied because they put a block on it. And surprising enough while I didn't have any problems with my computer until I got this outfox TV crap, but next thing you know I have backupmypc and something called Jotzey, I don't know for sure if any of these came from this outlook TV or not, but I will say this KEEP AWAY from everything to do with Outfox TV unless you want to seriously mess up your computer. Check when you are downloading any programs, the company that owns Outfox TV are just as bad if not worst than all these other scamming adaware programs. Becareful what you try to use to remove any of your adaware because companies purposely will give you crap like outfox TV then have some program that removes it, but then it installs more adaware related to something different.

They say just uninstal, well I uninstalled and like I said it stayed in program files folder, then when I rebooted it hijacked my browser again...might I ad I even removed outfox from my startup and services in msconfig and STILL it's on my computer.

Prorank

#8 prorank

prorank

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:46 AM

Hi Maddmedic and Roodo

@Maddmedic - please be assured you're not infected with anything, OutfoxTV is completely safe.  There is one rabid maniac posting hundreds of articles per day trying to drum up business for his online tech support by spreading the terms Outfox TV Virus in google searches, placing spam everywhere (!)  ... but please know there is no malicious code in our program.

Beta :
There's currently two versions available - we distributed out beta version bundled with other installers and offering an opt-out, so we have a lot of users on this version at present.

v2:

There's also Beta v2 available for download from our website at www.outfox.tv

The uninstaller for each of these behaves slightly differently.

For the Beta version, the uninstaller will remove the program from your windows machine (eg. removes the launchbar from your desktop and all program elements.  Unfortunately we screwed up with restoring the browser settings to their original when the uninstaller runs, so the user needs to override the www.outfox.tv that is saved as a home page in the browser.  You probably already know how to do this, but I've included links below.

For the V2, we included the option to select "Remove outfox as home page" in the uninstall process. Just select the check box on the way through uninstalling using that version, and it will remove the saved tab in your browser and reset it back to original.

-----

Browser reset instructions if required :

Specific instructions for modern browsers are located at:
Firefox :
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/How%20to%20set%20the%20home%20page
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

Google Chrome :
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2765944?hl=en

Internet Explorer :
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/internet-explorer/change-home-page#ie=ie-11

NEW TAB SETTING - FIREFOX

Reset the Firefox Home Page under Options / General / Home Page
(https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/How%20to%20set%20the%20home%20page)

The new tab in Firefox may also open the website www.outfox.tv.
To reset this there is a Mozilla supplied extension here :

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/searchreset/

----

Please don't hesitate to email support@outfox.tv if you need a hand.

Cheers

Carl

OutfoxTV Support

You should not be lying to people, I just went to your site to support and uninstall to get to this page http://www.outfox.tv/uninstall/ and it says just click uninstall, THAT DOES NOTHING. I will email support and see if you guys can fix, if so I will post it here. If not I will make sure I join the others in making sure your company continues to go down hill. I know my sites bring in large traffic for Canada, so guaranteed your Canadian customers will be basically non existent. Because I will do everything in my power to tell everyone of te 350,000 monthly visitors I get that your company and site should be avoided by all cost.

prorank

#9 OutfoxTV

OutfoxTV

Authorized OutfoxTV Rep

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:21 AM

Hi prorank

I trust you have emailed support?  They will happily help you.  The inbuilt Uninstaller works for the majority of users. If it doesn't work, our support team will ensure the program is uninstalled, in most cases the PC needs a reboot or we need you to install the latest version of the product containing the most up to date uninstaller. 

Our audience is growing and people generally seem to love the option to access free TV.  In fact you can feel free to access all programs for free at www.outfox.tv which doesn't require installation of our app or any other software.

Feel free to communicate with your own audience but please keep your communications factual, because if you have a technical problem, and haven't even tried using our support, it's inappropriate and unfair that you question our product. We'll keep an eye on your communications and be there to help or respond as apporpriate.

Regards

Carl

Outfox TV

Edited by OutfoxTV, 15 March 2014 - 03:28 AM.

#10 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

Well said Prorank.

Boopme, http:\\outfox.tv is not in the list.

Carl, the fact that this app installs itself on people's pc and will NOT uninstall is definately BAD news. I'm pissed off because that annoying outfox garbage is still in my pc and will not uninstall. I'll be damn if I'll let outfox install the lastest version on my pc.

Clydesdale™

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

Do not believe many of the "Scam Removal People".

Several of these call it a Virus or similar name, but most times you did install it with other programs.

A direct quote from Firefox Forum (who agree with me) .................

Outfox.tv is not actually a virus as some made it out to be thanks to how outfox initially changed some tab settings in Firefox and such only to be fixed later. It also does not help that it was bundled in with some other software initially. Some of the sites including the above are calling the outfox application a virus as a way to make money. They may also make it so if you do their fixes and the when uninstalling outfox application it may not uninstall properly and these sites then make monkey on removing it for a price.

From outfox.tv website

If the new tab still has outfox.tv as New tab after a uninstall. Manual Reset :

To reset this type the following in your Firefox browser address bar:
   about:config
   then in the search box type :
   browser.newtab.URL and press enter
   Double click on the line / field for browser.newtab.URL
   You can then change the value of the new tab to be anything you require.

Also note that outfox application is NOT a Mozilla product or project as some may think with the fox in name.

If the program will not uninstall with ease, then Reinstall it, and follow the directions given.

Modified :

January 19, 2014 1:41:46 PM PST

by James

#12 prorank

prorank

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

Well everyone I did finally get rid of it. I found a suggestion that said use a program called ADW Cleaner, it made it so I was able to remove outfoxTV and the folder left over in c:program files/outfoxTV was able to be deleted and no longer locked.

OutfoxTV I spoke with support and reported the user that sent  this to my pc in teh first place along with many other adaware programs and they are going to look into it. I also figured out the person who attached this OutfoxTV virus or adaware whatever you want to call it, they removed the uninstall file, that's why I couldn't find and run the uninstall. I know you have to protect your company, but really you guys need to keep a better eye on your affiliates that are getting paid to promote your company.

Eevryone hates, spam, malware, adaware and of course viruses. If the rest of you out there are like me, I will NEVER buy something from a company that spams me. If you want the item, look for it somewhere else. if it's unique and only the one site has it, remove the whole URL except for the domain anme. When you remove all teh code after the domain name before you go to the site, the person that spammed you doesn't get paid, because there is no proof the spamer sent you to the companies site. :). Just maybe with a tiny bit of luck, these spammers will slow down.

Thank you everyone for you time and replies.

Have a great day!

ProRank

#13 prorank

prorank

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

Do not believe many of the "Scam Removal People".

Several of these call it a Virus or similar name, but most times you did install it with other programs.

A direct quote from Firefox Forum (who agree with me) .................

Outfox.tv is not actually a virus as some made it out to be thanks to how outfox initially changed some tab settings in Firefox and such only to be fixed later. It also does not help that it was bundled in with some other software initially. Some of the sites including the above are calling the outfox application a virus as a way to make money. They may also make it so if you do their fixes and the when uninstalling outfox application it may not uninstall properly and these sites then make monkey on removing it for a price.

From outfox.tv website

If the new tab still has outfox.tv as New tab after a uninstall. Manual Reset :

To reset this type the following in your Firefox browser address bar:
   about:config
   then in the search box type :
   browser.newtab.URL and press enter
   Double click on the line / field for browser.newtab.URL
   You can then change the value of the new tab to be anything you require.

Also note that outfox application is NOT a Mozilla product or project as some may think with the fox in name.

If the program will not uninstall with ease, then Reinstall it, and follow the directions given.

Modified :

January 19, 2014 1:41:46 PM PST

by James

Quick note, first we are both on teh same page. Funny you noticed something I didn't the fox not only probably is trying to infringe on fireFOX, but what I was thinking was the name as a whole Out Fox, like as in they out foxed is. Remember that old expression you go tout foxed. That is where I was thinking the name came from. Too bad there is no legal grounds to do anything. Except places like here WARNING EVERYONE Stay away from outfoxTV, youve been warned, I would not even go to their site again and take a chance it may automatically install. Remember this, everything you click in cluding the X in the top right corner, can be coded to do anything. I have seen sites where if you click the X it opens 3 more windows, then multiplied from there. Until I closed browser with Task Manager. I am getting long winded...lol TY

#14 prorank

prorank

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

NOTICE: Prorank1 and Prorank are the same person, for some reason the logins originally didn't work then after I set up the second account, I started replying with both usernames, not paying attention and just clicking link in the email :). Sorry for confusion, not that it should be that confusing..

Prorank aka Prorank1  ;-)

#15 OutfoxTV

OutfoxTV

Authorized OutfoxTV Rep

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

It's odd how old discussions get revamped and take on a life of their own, and how external programs are once again mentioned when they are not needed to remove our program.  Noknojon hit the nail on the head with their post.

Prorank/Prorank1, you raise the risk that our website www.outfox.tv might try to automatically install the Outfox app. I don't know what your motivation is to create such a claim, but our site does not install anything - categorically. Go and check it with the programs you're promoting if you need independent verification.  It;s a website created to allow access to free TV - for people who don't want the app.  Site visitors get access to most of the newest content the same as users of the app can access.

For clarity, no one is trying to "outfox" our users as you suggested our name might mean, the term comes from outfoxing the traditional waste and cost associated with cable television - our website and app both offer a free alternative.

Prorank, I'm not sure which email address you used to communicate with our support team, but if you'd care to copy the correspondence here we can jointly determine why our support people could not achieve an uninstallation for you - there should be absolutely zero need for you to go an install another piece of software or suggested cleaner/antivirus when we can help free of charge. Seems weird you had to go to that extent and promote that as a proposed solution here.

Noknojon, thanks for the clear and sensible assessment. It's refreshing to know most of our users and a wider audience in the online world get how it works.

Cheers
Carl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users