Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to partition Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

I have an old Windows XP computer with 466gb of useable harddrive, 314 now free, 2 gb ram, 2.2 gh, and dual core.  I've decided to partition the computer, as microsoft is giving up on xp.  I've put all the files on a new windows 8.1 computer, deleted the programs I don't use, and made a list of others.  Since I will have problems getting some of them again, I don't really want to delete them.  and have to refind them.  I do have the XP recovery disk handy tho.  I have been trying to partition and put Linux mint cinamon on to see if I can learn it.  Haven't been able to with windows in all these years anyway.  I tried http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/shrink-and-extend-ntfs-volumes-in-windows/, but it's for vista and doesn't work either way.  I don't have the shrink option in the run, disk part... window I've downloaded 3 third party partition managers,(paragon, mini tool, and one I forget the name of) none of which has helped.  Have been told easus's partition manager is full of add -ons.  Is there an easy, or at least doable for a beginner way to put 200 gb in a separate partition so I can continue using that computer, keeping it offline with windows?  I'm trying to set my new one up and change the old one around at the same time, and getting real frustrated to the point of not thinking straight.  Any help will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

Not sure if this is what you want, exactly, but perhaps a start?http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/507596/resizing-a-partition/

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

Maybe I'm just batty from reading too much, but I can't see any directions for XP there at all.  Should I say we've got to stop meeting like this.  Just talking to you about this switch over a day or two ago.  Hope all is fine.  I've got linux mint cinnamon install on a DVD, only trying to figure out the partitioning which I was told was the easy part.  I guess if I wasn't in trouble I'd probably be 6 ft under. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

If you want to shrink an XP system partition, it has to be done offline with a bootable CD. Partition Wizard is easier to work with but you should back up any critical personal data you have (which you have according to your first post). Once to reduce the size of your XP partition, Linux will automatically use any unallocated space on the drive to install. During the install it will ask if you want it to install along side Windows and create a boot manager that will let you pick what OS you want at startup.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 December 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#5 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

Yeah I know, right? And if you think you are batty, I am at the point that I can not remember, now where did I see/read that? My oops on this one...you're doing Mint and I am looking at Ubuntu, it seems that Ubuntu partitions itself, ha ha ha. Well, keep on posting, I am not there yet to start with Linux, the computer is still in the box that I am going to use before I set up my XP...I have till April to get it all done...

by the by...I'll keep looking,,,

#6 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

Thanks both of you, and John, I think the only thing I might lose are programs, some of which I don't have ways to put them back on.  Oh well.  I might not loose any either, time will tell.  The shrinking from CD is the first time I've heard that.  But I know I couldn't do it (I'm good at messing things up tho)  with the mini tool partition wizard I downloaded, nor with paragon or the other one, and they all had different reasons.  I've got easeus partition now, and will give it a try.  Be easier t hire this done, but I'm stubborn.  And hippie I was torn between ubuntu and mint.  It sounds like gnome3 is a lot like windows 8 which I'm not getting too fast.  And mint is real similar to XP the literature said.  

#7 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

And now to make your head really spin, I found this, heyyou325, on the Linux Mint Forums. What I find quite interesting is that you can find how to duel boot with Win 7 but not as much on XP, and Win 8? That's where I am heading first and it seems Win 8, like all Windows, does not play nice...oh what fun...

But, please remember, and all the forums stress this, have your computer backed up! That way, as I use to say, if it implodes, grab the cigs, Cognac and Format c: /u.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=137389

Have you considered going Live, first?

#8 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

I thought you were putting yours on XP also.  I think my easeus partition thing is doing it, it's rebooting and shows it is anyway.  At the moment I can't find the link, or links, but somewhere on here it says XP will be vulnerable when it's online after april, and if you dual boot and are online with ubuntu xp will also be.  If you only boot one drive at a time, and network you can transfer files from one to the other.  Know anything about networking?  We'll probably be communicating on that too.  My boss recommended I try puppy before I download and install one, but I guess I'm in a hurry.  Most of the linux's I've looked at let you work from a cd but how would you download new programs and get started that way.  Windows 8.1 isn't too bad, but I prefer XP, I think if I use it I will learn.  My problem is I keep going to my XP computer to do things as it's easier and I can just relax and play on it.  That's a lot of the reason I'm switching now and on the drive.  If I don'r like mint, I can back up and install ubuntu.

#9 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Oh, I will be putting Linux on the XP computer, but I have another computer, Win 8 that is going Linux first. I just do not want to "learn" Win 8, so that is my reasoning behind setting that one up first, plus there is nothing on the computer, so what have I got to lose? So now you understand why I am following your threads, I don't quite know, yet, how I am setting XP up. But for me, puppy does look good, this poor computer is definitely lacking ram and needs a light weight distro. (And I have another computer that I was told the operating system is Win 95? Password got set up, person forgot password, end of that computer, basically never been used, another candidate for Linux)

Do I know anything about networking? Ha! The last time I knew anything about computers, the operating system was DOS. My knowledge of Windows? Zip Zap Zup...it is amazing that I get online at all (monitor has notes all over...not to mention my poor long suffering son) As perhaps you can tell, I do not want to waste my time learning Windows, but  I am going to learn Linux, need a challenge in my old age...plus I hate Windows! I do see where you are going with the networking...something to look into...

#10 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

Yea, my wife wants me to exercise my brain a lot more.  I would like to wait til 'april to set the computer up, but that wouldn't give me much time.  I'm retiring the end of march.  I don't want to learn a lot of new things, hence picking one similar to XP.  Also mint comes with wine which will run a lot of windows programs.  Not sure which, but it does mention office.  Then I can convert it to open office and be able to use my files in both.  I want to keep windows offline as much as I can as you get so many add-ons, tracking, and other malware.  Ever notice how almost everything you download has unwanted extras attached.  Been outside a lot today, trying to get my snowplow operating again, so I didn't get alot done on either computer on a day off.

#11 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

It's partitioned, now what?  It opens up with dos (I think) a black screen with white words saying it has no OS.  I have a linux mint cinnamon on a DVD, but it doesn't open (start to run) to install.  Any way to get to the other partition? or to install and format that one?  

#12 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:44 AM

Understand the snow part, but I use a shovel, I know my heart is still quite all right.

Read you right on that mint part, hum, good choice if you have Win programs, which I really don't, but my son does have office, which he needs to read his email and I think stuff for the Army... it's called having a secure second computer via good ol' mom.

Okay, as to why the partition is not behaving like it should...why don't you post that problem in the Linux Forum here at Bleeping Computer with a link to this thread so that you don't have to repeat yourself? And perhaps a moderator can tie in the threads? Being in Win XP forum does not draw the Lunix people...but they do keep an eye out in the Lunix forum...the more the merry, shall we say?

And don't give up! I 'm going to be learning right there with you around the first of the year...

#13 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

I didn't think about linking the threads.  I probably just need to give commands in the run mode,  or maybe do a format.  If I could just figure out how to start the DVD player I think that might do it.  Easeus didn't give me the option,  I thought it would open in the C drive, instead of the unallocated space.  I've posted in the linux forum last night too, and haven't been there yet.  Wished my son or daughter was close enough. to come home and fix my messes.  Son's 1500 miles away and daughter is over 2000.  I must have really messed up.  Maybe it put me back in the disk pat part of the computer.  Wished I had a good tutorial on that.  This thread should be a good what not to do tutorial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users